5 Steps To Find Your Personal Style
There are many ways to express yourself as a human being: what you do, say, and appearance. You may not have thought about it that way, but the way you look says a lot about who you are and the way you look at the world.
While you may not be able to change your height or body shape, you can play around with the things you wear to create a unique personal statement. Your outfit can tell people a lot about your personality and attitude before you open your mouth. It can project a happy and positive vibe or quiet confidence.
You can choose to copy whatever the latest fashion trends are, but imagine if you were associated with a signature look that many around you aspire to, or at least admire? You can come up with a mode of dress that is comfortable to wear and a good fit for your complexion and body type. The best part is it doesn’t even have to be expensive.
Expressing yourself through a unique personal style can do a world of good to your self-confidence. That confidence will be an invaluable asset in whichever sphere you operate—be it the corporate world or the entertainment industry. It is a commonly held belief that people are drawn to confidence.
Some associate a personal style with spending lavishly on apparel and accessories. On the contrary, identifying your personal style can see you make substantial savings on your clothing budget as you’ll be less tempted to spend money on pricey trending items if they don’t fit in with your style.
Using Your Personal Taste
There are some colors, materials and shapes you’re probably naturally attracted to. These should form the basis of your personal style. You may have noted that you have a penchant for striped tops or a preference for color blocking. Take a look at the outfits in your wardrobe and you will see these preferences emerging.
If you can’t quite find a pattern in your wardrobe, this will be a great opportunity for you to experiment and discover the clothing style that best portrays the emotion or attitude you wish to project to the world. You can try out bold colors or seek out unique prints with matching accessories or accessories that create tasteful accents.
As you try out different looks, your mission should be to identify a style that authentically represents you, whether or not it allows you to blend into your surroundings. Try to resist the temptation to blend in with the crowd. If possible, try to give your outfits a signature twist that sets them apart. You want outfits that will be comfortable to wear and not be a hindrance to your activities.
Establishing Your Personal Style
- Start With the Basics– Create a mini-wardrobe of essentials that can serve you on any occasion. This will include some basic pieces in neutral colors: fitting black jeans, loose white t-shirts or a brown leather jacket that can go with practically anything else. These pieces, some of which you may already have, should form the basis of your new, unique look.
- Get Inspired– You can get your creative juices flowing by creating a mood board on Pinterest or whichever other platform you’re comfortable using. Here you can collect photos of full outfits, clothing items or accessories that you would like to try out.
- Try Something New– Be open to discovering new fashion pieces or new ways to style what you have as you begin your journey to your personal style. If you prefer conservative colors, try out a bold yellow top, or start with a brightly colored belt. You can also try Gucci glasses with oversize cat-eye frames if you’re not into flashy eyewear.
- Like What You Like– Resist the temptation to try to fit into the crowd. If you find a look that resonates with you, stick with it even if it goes against the grain. As you wear your look with confidence, chances are others will try to replicate it, hoping to reap the same confidence.
- Have Go-To Outfits– It’s a good idea to include a couple of go-to outfits in your selection that can suit any occasion. On the days when you can’t make up your mind what to wear, these will come to your rescue, helping you stay true to your personal style.
A Last Personal Touch
How you choose to dress plays an undeniable role in how you feel throughout your day. That’s no small thing, so it’s never too late to explore your stylistic preferences. Make a statement and enjoy your wardrobe full of true-to-you looks.