This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something from them, I earn a small percentage that helps keep The Spring Mount 6 Pack running.
So the kids are back to school. I think I just heard a sigh from the moms out there. Just because the summer has ended, that doesn’t mean that the crafting fun has to stop. That just means that it is time for Back to school crafts. Add in a fun duct tape craft on top of that the kids will be loving the fact they are back in school. With this duct tape pencil case, the kids will love showing off their new back to school craft.
This tutorial has been created by the Duct Tape Queen, Richela Fabian Morgan. She has been nice enough to share this fun duct tape craft tutorial with me to share with all of my readers.
Materials: white, blue, yellow, light blue, gold, orange, green, red, and fuchsia duct tape; 2 round neodyne magnets, key chain ring
Tools: self-healing cutting mat, corked back metal ruler, craft knife, parchment paper, 1/8″ hole puncher
1. Place a parchment paper measuring 10″ wide x 15″ high on top of your worktable. Starting from the bottom, place 9 strips of white duct tape across the parchment paper. Be sure the strips overlap along the long edges by at least 1/8″. Flip over and place the duct tape/parchment paper on your worktable in the landscape position. Peel off parchment paper. Starting at the bottom of the half-made fabric, place 6 strips of blue duct tape across it. Be sure the strips overlap along the long edges by at least 1/8″. Trim down the fabric to 10″ x 15″. (See her instructional video https://www.youtube.com/watch?
2. Place the fabric on your worktable in the portrait position, white side facing up.
3. Cut two strips of 6″ white duct tape. Measure and mark 6″ from the bottom left and right corners of the fabric. Starting at the two marks, vertically place each strip along the left and right edges. Be sure the strips are halfway on the fabric.
4. Fold back the vertical tape strips and pull up the bottom portion of the fabric. Push down along the outer edges to form the main pocket.
5. Trim the corners of the flap in a curved line.
6. Cut 12″ strips of various colored tape. Trim the width of each trip to 1/4″. Use these strips to decorate the front of the pencil case. Trim edges of strips that extend past the edges of the pencil case.
7. Flip bag over so the opening is face up. Place a magnet on the inside of the flap, centered and approximately 1/2″ from the top edge. Cover with a piece of white duct tape.
8. Place a magnet inside the pocket, centered and approximately 1/2″ from the bottom edge. Push it against the top fabric of the pocket and cover from the inside with a piece of white duct tape.
9. Using the hole puncher, make a hole on the upper left corner of the pencil case near the top of the pocket.
10. Loop the key ring through the hole.
11. Close the flap and flip the bag over.