This post contains affiliate links.
Have you been thinking about making some extra money? Have you considered how much money that you could make by flipping? No, I don’t mean flipping houses. I mean by flipping everyday items as a way to make money. Some people call it Thrifting for Profit.
From household furniture and decor to jewelry and clothes, you can actually make really great money by buying items at a low price and selling them for higher. So where do you find these things you ask? Well, there are several places, but I have found that the best places to find items to flip are these places you likely see every weekend.
Hare are the best places to find items to flip:
- Yard Sales. To make the most of your yard sale trip, plan a day of it and head out to the richest part of town and shop at their yard sales. I once saw a $3500 sofa being sold for $150 because it was last years colors and I have also personally bought a pair of $90 Silver jeans for $1!! Yes, I just said $1! The yard sales that you see happening in the high-end parts of town are often because people want to get rid of stuff and occasionally it is a charitable type yard sale. Both of these reasons are perfect for saving big!
- Thrift Shops. Thrift shops are great, especially when you spot the clearance and sale racks within a thrift shop. You can find some really high-value items for pennies on the dollar. I know a woman who shops at thrift stores twice a week and only buys items that are on sale or clearance, she then takes the items to a local consignment shop where she places it for sale. She nets a profit of around $500 every month doing this.
- Barn/Shop sales. Yes, these are similar to yard sales, but they deserve their own mention because of the unique items that you can get there. Many barn and shop sales are filled with tools that the owner no longer needs or uses. Tool re-sale is big business. Keep your eye out for high-end tool names such as Mac and Snap On. Sometimes a single wrench can be worth $20-$50!
- Curbside. Lots of people set stuff outside of their house to give away for free. Don’t be afraid to stop and grab it! When you get the item for free, it is 100% profit!
- Church Rummage Sales. You can find some amazing deals at church rummage sales, plus, you can almost always guarantee that this money is going toward a good cause. Oftentimes people donate their items to be sold so there is no personal attachment involved in the sale itself. Also, consider shopping the sale on the last day, you are likely to find some huge discounts since the organizers are trying to clear everything out. My last trip to a church rummage sale, I scored a $75 Nine West handbag for $0.50!
Have you ever flipped an item before? Where have you found the best deals?