This recipe for Apple Pie Ice Cream is a perfect way to get your fix of fall flavors, in a rich and creamy treat. Just a few ingredients are all you need to make this amazing low calorie ice cream. Perfect for anyone following Weight Watchers or any other diet that restricts sugar, fat, or carbs!
Instagram is one of my favorite places to be. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun! Be sure to check out our stories for real-time fun!
No Churn Apple Pie Ice Cream
I love ice cream. I think I eat it almost every day. between the classic banana flavor, as well as my favorite chocolate ice cream, I switch it up by making rocky road ice cream, mint chocolate chip and strawberry ice cream to give me a variety. With fall here and craving classic fall flavors, I needed a creamy apple pie ice cream that won’t break the bank on my WW points.
Does This Recipe Need an Ice Cream Machine?
That is the beauty of this recipe. It doesn’t require anything special. As an added bonus, the ingredients are extremely inexpensive. You just need a food processor or blender and a bowl to freeze in. Piece of cake, or should I say pie!
What Gives This Ice Cream Apple Pie Flavors?
The best way to give this ice cream its apple pie flavors is using apple pie filling. You can make your own apple pie filling or you can use store bought. In this case, I am using store bought. You can use sugar free apple pie filling, but it is not necessary. The Ww points comes out the same on sugar free and Great Value brand. Since I will use sugar free when I need it to keep the points down, I do try to use the regular sugar when I can.
Since I am already using brown sugar substitute in this recipe, I am using regular pie filling.
Love Recipes? Join our Facebook Group, The Best Recipes Because Mama Loves to Eat
How Long Will Homemade Ice Cream Last in the Freezer?
This ice cream will last if it is stored well in the freezer for up to 1 month. The key is to make sure it does not get freezer burn.
How to Store Apple Pie Ice Cream?
You want to make sure to keep the apple pie ice cream in the freezer. I place the ice cream in a container with a lid. Then I place a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the ice cream as it sits in the freezer. This gives it an extra layer of protection against freezer burn.
Is This An Apple Nice Cream?
Nice cream is an ice cream substitute. It is made using frozen fruit that is then blended in a special machine that is like a press or it can be made in a food processor. This recipe is not really a nice cream recipe because it is also made with cream cheese, which gives it that milk base and adds to the creaminess.
Can You Taste the Bananas?
In all of my ice cream recipes, I use banana as part of the base of my recipes. It adds sweetness and creaminess without adding the fat and calories. In all but one of them, the banana ice cream recipe, you can not taste the bananas. I prefer it that way. While nice creams are, well, nice, they are not ice cream to me. So when I can taste the fruit, I tend to not get that ice cream feel.
But is it Creamy?
Can it really be considered ice cream if it isn’t creamy? That is why I have issues with nice cream. It reminds me of sherbert which is good but it is not ice cream. Because of the cream cheese in this recipe, the ice cream is creamy and delicious.
Can I Use Regular Sugar?
I am using brown sugar substitute in this recipe. That is a simple way to save the fat and calories and lets me save the points. If you are making this apple pie ice cream without worrying about WW points, you can certainly use regular brown sugar as well.
Variations to Apple Ice Cream
This apple pie ice cream would be delicious with some crumbled up puff pastry on top of the ice cream before serving. It reminds me of a streusel topping.
I also am thinking that you could add in some chunky peanut butter to the mixture as well for a little more of a boost of flavor and protein.
You can add caramel chips or chocolate chips as well.
Tips for Freezing Bananas
This recipe uses frozen bananas. You can use over ripened bananas or fresh ones. The best thing to do is to peel and slice the bananas before you freeze them. Once frozen, it is hard to get the peel off and that also makes it hard to slice them.
Peel the bananas, slice them and then place then in the freezer bag to freeze them for ice cream.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Apple Pie Ice Cream?
I am making sure to use fat free cream cheese and fat free Greek yogurt when I am making this apple ice cream. I am not using sugar free apple pie mix because when I compare the sugar free with the great value apple pie filling, the point values are the same. I am however using a brown sugar substitute to keep the points down.
The points for this ice cream comes in at
- Purple – 3 points
- Blue – 3 points
- Green- 3 points
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Want to Weight Watchers for almost free? Get a Year’s Membership for the Price of a Month – Learn More About Healthi – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
How Much Does This Recipe Cost to Make?
At the time of writing this recipe, the total cost for the recipe is $5.15 with the ingredients bought from Krogers. That breaks down to $1.29 a serving.
- Bananas – Peeled and sliced before frozen
- Plain Fat Free Greek yogurt – You can use store bought or make your own Greek Yogurt
- Fat Free Cream Cheese– I use the generic but you can use the brand name too.
- Apple Pie Filling– I am not using sugar free but you can. I used the Great Value brand while calculating the points.
- Vanilla Extract- I always recommend pure vanilla extract. If you want to make sure the ice cream is not discolored from the vanilla, use clear.
- Brown Sugar Substitute– This is the brand I used
- Honey Maid Low Fat Graham Crackers – You can use other graham crackers as well, but it will change the point count.
How to Make No Churn Apple Pie Ice Cream
Place the peeled and sliced bananas in a plastic freezer-safe bag and place in the freezer about 4 hours, or until the slices are well frozen.
In a blender or food processor, add the frozen banana slices, fat free Greek yogurt, fat free cream cheese, and vanilla. Blend the mixture until completely smooth.
Sometimes, you need to add 2-3 tablespoons of water to loosen the mixture.
Mix in the apple pie filling and the brown sugar substitute. Once blended, taste mixture and add more if desired. Mix in the graham crackers until well combined.
Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container.
Cover and place in the freezer for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
To serve, remove the ice cream from freezer and let sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to soften. Scoop into individual chilled serving dishes and garnish with favorite topping.
No Churn Apple Pie Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 large bananas peeled and cut into thin slices.
- ½ cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 6 ounces fat free cream cheese cut into chunks
- ½ cup apple pie filling
- ¾ tablespoon real vanilla extract clear if available to prevent discoloration of ice cream
- ½ cup brown sugar substitute
- 2 Honey Maid Low Fat Graham Crackers crushed
- Place banana slices in a plastic freezer-safe bag and place in the freezer about 4 hours, or until frozen.
- In a powerful blender or food processor, add frozen banana slices, yogurt, cream cheese, and vanilla extract, and blend until completely smooth. (If necessary, add 2-3 tablespoons of water to loosen the mixture).
- Mix in the apple pie filling and brown sugar substitute. Once blended, taste mixture and add more if desired. Mix in the graham crackers until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container. If adding chocolate chips or caramel chips, stir them in here. Cover and place in the freezer for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove from freezer and let sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to soften. Scoop into individual chilled serving dishes and garnish with favorite topping.