Smokey Bear and the U.S. Forest Service and the National Association of State Foresters, to ask for your support in raising awareness for Fire Prevention Month.
The sad truth is that nearly 9 out of 10 wildfires are still caused by humans:
- In 2014 there were 7,933 wildfires caused by lightning. However, 55,679 wildfires caused by human error (as reported to the National Interagency Fire Center).
- In 2014 more than 3.5 million acres burned due to wildfires in the U.S. of those and more than 1.5 million acres burned due to human-caused wildfires.
Most of us don’t intentionally do things that will cause a fire. Each year we learn of devastating wildfires caused by careless behavior which can impact millions of acres of forest and thousands of homes.
We should also be more responsible in our homes when it comes to fire safety. Half of home fire deaths result from fires reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. when most people are asleep. Only one in five home fires was reported during these hours.
So, how can you help support Fire Prevention Month?
- Learn how to build a SAFE campfire to prevent wildfires
- See how easily burning debris can start a wildfire
- Understand how proper equipment maintenance can reduce wildfires
- Safety is not only important indoors, but also around your property and community
Community Fire Safety
- How to prevent and detect fires inside your home
Home Fire Safety
I am taking the pledge and I hope you will do the same.
Pledge to be smart when using fire outdoors so you can do your part to prevent wildfires. Understand why some wildfires are caused by careless behavior.