This is the best Broccoli Salad Recipe I have tasted. It has all the best tasting ingredients in it and it is always a hit when we got to picnics or family get togethers.
The Best Tasting Broccoli Salad Recipe for Picnics
I love broccoli salad with vinegar. I had never even heard of it until a few years ago, while at the deli counter. On the premade salad side, there was a broccoli dish that looked fantastic. After buying it the first time, I was hooked. The problem is, if you have ever bought anything in at section, it is expensive! You get this little tiny container and it comes with a Big price tag. So I decided, I can find a recipe and make that myself.
But I could never find just one recipe that was exactly right to me. So I started playing with the recipes I saw online. I used a little bit of the Paula Deen Broccoli Salad recipe that I found online and a little bit from the also used a little of the Epicurious broccoli salad recipe. One thing I noticed first off, in all of the recipes I saw, was the base for the dressing is just about the same as the Amish macaroni salad I make. Then I played from there. I would have to say the end result is mostly inspired by Paula Dean’s version, with some alterations to fit what I love about the ones I buy at the grocery store. I also change up the dressing a little bit to match my Amish Macaroni Salad recipe.
Related: Looking for other recipes with broccoli? We love broccoli so we try to make a lot of recipes with it. Try Cheddar Broccoli Skillet Dinner with Chicken Recipe and Broccoli and Cheddar Mini Quiches Recipe. Both of these recipes are easy to make and can be made for pennies per serving.
Tips to make this easy Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Use fresh ingredients. You want the broccoli to have a nice bite to it
- Make the recipe ahead. It always tastes better as the ingredients have a chance to blend together
- Make a big batch. Ours disappears fast.
Also, check out Amish Potato Salad for pot luck dinners and picnics.
How Many Weight Watchers Points is broccoli salad?
When you make this recipe as is, it is 6 points. When you use the changes listed, it is 3 points. This recipe makes 6 servings.
This version of Broccoli Salad comes together in no time. It really is just a matter of cutting up the ingredients. And if you don’t like one of the ingredients, simply don’t add it. The dressing makes this Amish Broccoli salad a very tasty side dish.
Amish Broccoli Salad Recipe
For the dressing:
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar Weight Watchers use Stevia or Slenda equivalent ( stevia is about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar You can also use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Each gives its own unique taste.
- 1 cup mayonnaise Weight Watchers use Greek yogurt
In the salad:
- 1 head broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries Weight Watchers use 1/4 cup
- 1/4- 1/2 cup chopped onion, depending on how much raw onion you prefer. I use white onion but you can easily use red onion.
- 8 slices cooked bacon, chopped Weight Watchers use turkey bacon
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- To make the dressing for they salad, mix sugar, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in the broccoli. Add in the onions, raisins, sunflower seeds and the bacon.
Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and mix.
While the salad is ready immediately or an hour before serving, it always tastes better when it is made ahead and sit in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. Be sure to use a bowl with a lid. It makes it easier to store, it keeps it fresher longer and then you can shake the broccoli salad to get the dressing over everything before serving. I love this bowl set.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar WW use Stevia
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise WW use Greek Yogurt
- 1 head broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins WW use 1/4 cup
- 1/4- 1/2 cup chopped onion depending on how much raw onion you prefer.
- 8 slices cooked bacon chopped WW onuse Turkey Bac
- sunflower seeds
To make the dressing for they salad, mix sugar, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add in the broccoli. Add in the onions, raisins, sunflower seeds and the bacon.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix.
While the salad is ready immediately, it always tastes better when it is made ahead and sit in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.