We love these Tie Dye Unicorn Cupcakes because they are so easy to make. They’re the perfect way to bring a little whimsy into your life. But who doesn’t want magical desserts? These Unicorn Themed Cupcakes Are the Most Magical Dessert Ever!
These Unicorn Tie Dye Cupcakes Are the Most Magical Dessert Ever
You are going to love these incredible cupcakes! They’re the perfect way to bring a little whimsy into your life. But who doesn’t want magical desserts?
The Best way to Store Cupcakes
When it comes to making cupcakes, it is important to store them properly. This helps them to last longer and taste great. The best way to store cupcakes is in an airtight container. Some need to be in the refrigerator and some do not. These Unicorn cupcakes do not. Keep them in a cool spot, and they’ll be ready for when you want to enjoy some!
Can These Be Frozen
These cupcakes can be frozen if you want to make them in advance. To store these in the freezer, place a piece of parchment paper on top of the frosting so that it does not get soft or smushed when they are placed into storage. Put them back and freeze! Enjoy your magical unicorn tie dye cupcakes whenever you want.
Can you make them gluten-free?
If you want to make these cupcakes gluten free, you will want to use a gluten free flour that has a 1 to 1 ratio. It will work great in these.
How do you swirl frosting on cupcakes?
Making the frosting swirl that looks professional on top is not hard. When you are doing it with 3 colors, it might seem intimidating but there is no need to worry. It is actually really easy.
Add the frosting into 3 bowls. Color the frosting to get the colors that you want. Once the colors are ready, place the frosting into 3 of the small piping bags. You want to use the small bags because you are going to place the 3 small bags into one larger bag or attach them to the tri-piping tip. Once ready, you are ready to make the swirl.
Hold the piping bag straight up and start at the 12 o’clock position. Start the swirl on the outside edge. Squeeze the bag with constant pressure as you go around the cupcakes.
Create a spiral around the cupcakes and go around a 2nd time, creating an additional layer.
When you get to the center of the cupcake, release the pressure and pull the piping bag straight up.
Can These Unicorn Cupcakes Be Made in Other Colors
It is easy to make these cupcakes in different colors for different occasions. Here are some easy ideas.
- Red, White, and Blue – This is great for a patriotic dessert
- Pastel Colors – Think light blue, pink, yellow and purple. This is great for an Easter theme
- Dark Blue, Purple, and Black – If you love galaxy themed desserts, you can use dark purple and blue with black.
How to Make a Unicorn Horn
I am using a kit from Wilton to make the unicorn. If you can not find a kit, you can get this horn, Royal Icing unicorn horns, or you can also make the horn using fondant. You take a small ball, roll it out into a log and then the same thing with another log. Twist the 2 together to form the horn.
- all-purpose flour
- white granulated sugar
- vanilla pudding
- baking powder
- cream cheese
- egg whites
- vanilla creamer
- vanilla extract
- Yellow, pink, and teal food coloring
- powdered sugar
- small piping bags, 1 large piping bag or 1 tri-color piping kit, 1 large frosting tip
- Edible glitter, optional
How to Make Unicorn Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the cupcake tins.
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pudding, baking powder and salt.
With a mixer, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and beat until it is completely incorporated and then add the vanilla.
With the mixer on low, beat in the egg whites.
Fold the wet and dry ingredients together. Add the creamer in slowly and then beat it on medium for 1 minute.
Divide the batter between 3 bowls. Add the food coloring to each bowl, slowly, until you get the color you want.
Use an ice cream scoop to add a small amount of each color batter to the tin until it is 2/3 full. This is creating the tie dyed look. use a toothpick to swirl the colors together.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes until the centers are done and a tooth pick comes out clean.
Let them cool completely.
Make the Frosting
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until it is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract.
Beat in the powdered sugar, slowly, 1 cup at a time. Add a bit of milk between each cup until it is creamy. Beat for 1 minute.
Divide the frosting between 3 bowls and add food coloring to each one until it is the desired color.
Place the colored frosting in 3 small bags and then place the 3 bags inside the large bag, or ice a tri-piping tip.
Frost the cupcakes using the swirl technique and then sprinkle with edible glitter.
Add the unicorn horn.
Magical Unicorn Cupcakes
- 1 large piping bag or 1 tri-color piping kit,
- 1 large frosting tip
- unicorn horns
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups white granulated sugar
- 1-3.56 oz box of vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup vanilla creamer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Yellow pink, and teal food coloring
- 1 stick salted butter softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla creamer
- Yellow, pink, and teal food coloring
- Edible glitter, optional
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line a standard muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, pudding, baking powder and salt. Whisk dry ingredients well.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream butter 1-2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Mix in your cream cheese until well incorporated, and then do the same with your vanilla. On low, mix in the egg whites.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Slowly add in the creamer and mix on medium for 1 minute.
- Divide the batter evenly between 3 small bowls. Add in your food coloring into each bowl until desired color is achieved. Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, add a small amount of each color batter into the muffin tin until each is about 2/3 full. This will give you the tie dye effect. You can also use a toothpick and swirl the colors together. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Directions for Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese and beat until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, while adding a bit of milk in between each cup. for 1 minute or until creamy.
- Separate frosting into 3 bowls. Add in your food coloring into each bowl until desired color is achieved. Prepare frosting bags/kit and fill each color frosting into each separate bag. Place the 3 smaller piping bags into the larger piping bag or connect to the tri-piping tip.
- Pipe each cupcake and sprinkle with white edible glitter.
- Add unicorn topper.