With just five ingredients you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a delicious Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings recipe. This delicious baked chicken wings recipe is so simple that it will quickly become your favorite go-to appetizer to serve at any special event.
Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Below you’ll find the step by step instructions to make this delightful appetizer that’s perfect for game day, family gatherings, or just a fun appetizer to serve when guests arrive for a visit this summer.
These spicy baked chicken wings are perfect for game day or anytime you need to whip up a casual, yet delicious, appetizer.
Should I Use the Whole Wing or Cut Into Wingettes?
I believe using the whole wing or cutting them into wingettes is a personal preference. You can get more out of this baked lemon pepper chicken wings recipe when you cut the whole wing into smaller portions.
Wingettes are the perfect size for a game day appetizer tray and you won’t have to bake as many chicken wings when you cut them into the smaller portion size.
How to Store Leftover Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
You can use a sealable container to store leftover lemon pepper chicken wings in the refrigerator. Place your leftover wings in the container and leave the lid off until it’s cooled down to room temperature before sealing and placing it in your refrigerator. These fully cooked chicken wings will be edible if stored no longer than four days in the refrigerator.
How to Reheat Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
The best way to reheat baked lemon pepper chicken wings is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spread your leftover wings onto a sheet pan in a single layer. Reheat in the oven for 10-20 minutes. Remember that heating time will vary from oven to oven, and to reheat the chicken until the thickest wing reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Are These Chicken Wings Keto or Low Carb?
Most chicken wings that aren’t sugar glazed or breaded are friendly for your keto or low car diet. My lemon pepper chicken wings are keto and low carb so you can enjoy these delicious appetizers without the guilt.
Making your own homemade flavored seasonings is easy. However, finding the perfect balance of flavors is more of an art than a science, because individual tastes vary so widely.
More Keto Recipes
- Keto Pork Stir Fry with Cashews
- Keto Pickle Chicken Thighs
- Easy Cod Recipe with Garlic Herb Butter
- Keto Meatloaf with Cheese Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Black peppercorns
- Chicken wings
- Extra virgin olive oil or melted butter
The proportions shared here offer a safe starting point. The whole black peppercorns impart a BOLD flavor to this seasoning, so it’s best to start with a small amount and adjust upwards until you find the level of heat you prefer. Once you do, you can create larger batches of this seasoning and store the remaining amounts in an airtight container for several months.
How to Make Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Put your oven rack to the center position and preheat your oven to the lowest setting aka warm.
Grab a rimmed baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
Wash the lemons and pat them dry to prepare the lemon-pepper seasoning. remove zest from each lemon using a microplane. While doing this process, collect as much of the yellow outer layer as possible, while avoiding too much of the bitter white layer below.
Spread a thin layer of the zest on the parchment paper and place it in the oven. Cook for 20 minutes and remove the pan from the oven. Shake the pan to make sure zest is drying evenly. Return the pan to the oven baking rack and cook until thoroughly dried, approximately 25-30 minutes.
Remove the dried lemon zest from the oven and increase your oven temperature to 425°F for baking the wings.
Combine zest with salt and black peppercorns in a spice grinder or food processor. Grind the ingredients until desired consistency is achieved. Taste and adjust the ratio of salt and pepper as desired.
Grab a large bowl to combine chicken wings with olive oil and 1-2 tablespoons of lemon-pepper seasoning. Toss until each wing is evenly coated.
Arrange the seasoned chicken wings in a single layer on your rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Be certain to avoid overcrowding.
Place the baking sheet on the center rack of your preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn each wing over. Return to the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until wings are until it is golden brown.
Remove the fully cooked wings from the oven and serve immediately with a side of celery and blue cheese or ranch dressing, if desired.
Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- 4-5 Large Organic Lemons zested
- 1 T Kosher Salt
- 1 t Black peppercorns crushed
- 4 lbs Chicken wings tips removed and patted dry
- 3 T Extra virgin olive oil
- Position oven rack to center position and preheat oven to warm (lowest setting).
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- To prepare the lemon-pepper seasoning, wash the lemons and pat dry. Remove zest from each lemon with a microplane. While doing so, collect as much of the flavorful yellow outer layer as possible, while avoiding the more bitter white layer below.
- Spread the zest in a thin layer on the parchment paper and place in the oven. After 20 minutes, remove pan from oven and shake to make sure zest is drying evenly. Return to oven until thoroughly dried, approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Remove dried lemon zest from the oven and increase oven temperature to 425°F.
- Add dried lemon zest to spice grinder or food processor along with salt and black peppercorns. Grind ingredients until desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust ratio of salt and pepper as desired.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken wings with olive oil and 1 – 2 tablespoons of lemon-pepper seasoning and toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange seasoned chicken wings in a single layer on rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Do not overcrowd. Place baking sheet on center rack of preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and turn each wing to ensure they cook evenly on all sides. Return to oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until wings are browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with sliced celery and blue cheese or ranch dressing, if desired.