Looking for a delicious Irish Chicken and Dumplings recipe? This Irish Stew recipe is a tasty version of chicken and dumplings that is perfect for a chilly night.
Irish Chicken and Dumpling Stew
As the good little Irish girl I am, I love me some potatoes and just about any kind of stew. My husband, also Irish, loves anything with chicken in it. So, this simple to make stew is the perfect comfort food when the winds are blowing and we are looking for something to warm us up. It is a great St. Patrick’s Day recipe if you are looking for something a little different than Corned beef and cabbage, although that is another great Irish comfort food.
What is Irish Stew?
There are many ways to make Irish stew. There are Irish Beef Stew recipes and Irish Lamb Stew recipes. I personally love this Irish Chicken and Dumpling stew recipe. It is creamy and filling and incredibly delicious. I look forward to eating all winter long. I have been known to make Irish Stew on plenty of summer nights.
Can this be a Irish Chicken Stew Slow Cooker Recipe
This can easily be an Irish Chicken Stew slow cooker recipe. You will take all of the ingredients and add it to the slow cooker. You will have to adjust the times. Most of the vegetables can be added all at once, unlike the step process I use when cooking it on the stove. When you add the dumplings give them about an hour to cook on high.
How Long Do Irish Dumplings Last
When you make this recipe for Irish Dumplings you can store it in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Make sure it is in an airtight container so that it stays fresh for as long as possible.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Irish Chicken Stew
When you are making this Irish Chicken stew you will want to change a few things in order to get the lowest points possible without giving up any of the flavor. You want to use 98% fat free cream of chicken soup. Also, I decrease the amount of potatoes to 3 and decrease the amount of Bisquik to 1 1/2 cup, as well as decrease the milk to 1/2 cups. This brings the points down to 9 points per serving. To lower the points even more, I like to add another chicken breast, 5 total, and more vegetables and this increases the serving size to 8 and this brings the total to 7 points per serving.
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Want to Weight Watchers for almost free? Get a Year’s Membership for the Price of a Month – Learn More About Healthi – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Want More St Patrick’s Day Recipes?
Want more recipe for St. Patrick’s Day? How about Colcannon or an Irish Flag Parfait Snack? Need a non-alcoholic St. Patrick’s Day Punch? Or maybe you want a St. Patrick’s Day Sparkling Lemon Lime Margarita? Try these St. Patrick’s Day recipes and St. Patrick’s Day desserts. Pull it all together with Ways to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
Have you seen our St. Patrick’s Day items in the Our Wabi Sabi Life shop? Things like home decor and fun for kids like St. Patrick’s Day placemats or scavenger hunt.
Ingredients in Irish Stew with Chicken and Dumplings
- See above for Weight Watchers Changes.
- Cream of chicken soup
- Chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Baking mix
How to make Irish Stew with chickens and dumplings
In a heavy soup pot, start by combining the water, soup, onions, celery, and chicken. Add in salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 2 hours, on low heat.
Toss in the carrots and the potatoes. Cook for 30 minutes.
Stir in the peas and cook for another 10 minutes.
Mix together the dumplings by combining the baking mix and milk. Bring the stew up to a boil
Drop dumplings into the stew by the spoonful. Reduce stew to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes covered. Remove the cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
Another great tasting chicken recipe is Italian Chicken.
Need more ideas and help to stay on track with Weight Watchers?
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- Don’t let the holidays get your off track. Get your copy of How to Survive a Low Point Holiday.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
Irish Stew with Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 cups water
- 2 can of cream of chicken soup
- 2 onions diced
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 4 chicken breasts- cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 chopped carrots
- 4 potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups Peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups baking mix like Bisquick
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- In a heavy soup pot, start by combining the water, soup, onions, celery and chicken. Add in salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 2 hours, on a low heat.
- Toss in the carrots and the potatoes. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Mix together the dumplings by combining the baking mix and milk. Bring the stew up to a boil
- Drop dumplings into the stew by the spoonful. Reduce stew to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes covered. Remove the cover and cook for another 10 minutes.