This avocado sweet potato toast is a one bite breakfast treat that’s easily made ahead to enjoy for a quick grab-n-go bite to eat. You’ll love having something new to bite into for breakfast that only takes half an hour to make.
Avocado Sweet Potato Toast
Sweet potato toast is a hearty and satisfying breakfast recipe that will help you get started on the right foot. This recipe is easily prepared in just 30 minutes, but you can roast a large batch of sliced sweet potatoes ahead of time to save yourself a few minutes.
If you opt to prepare the sweet potatoes for this sweet potato toast recipe ahead of time, then make sure you store the pre-cooked slices in your refrigerator in an airtight container. When you’re ready to grab a sweet potato toast for breakfast, simply heat the pre-cooked slices under the broiler or in a toaster over to warm before serving.
How Can I Tell if an Avocado is Ripe?
You’ll want to make sure your avocados are ripe for use in this sweet potato toast recipe. Usually, avocados have a darker color when they’re ripe, but since that can vary, it’s best to tell if an avocado is ripe by texture. A ripe avocado will feel soft but slightly firm to the touch.
Tips for Slicing Sweet Potatoes Safely
The best way to slice sweet potatoes for this sweet potato toast recipe is to use a vegetable peeler to take the skin off. Once you’ve removed the skin, slice off both ends of the sweet potato. Hold the sweet potato on a cutting board lengthwise and slowly cut potato chip style slices using a sharp knife.
The sweet potatoes need to be cut into ¼” slices for this recipe. I suggest you use a knife sharpener to sharpen your dull knife before slicing into your sweet potatoes. Dull knives may cause your sweet potato to slip and cause unnecessary injury.
- Sweet potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lime juice
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Smoked paprika, for garnish
How to Make Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado
Set your oven to preheat to 425°F. While waiting, place a wire rack inside a large, rimmed baking sheet. Spray non-stick cooking spray inside and set aside.
Mash the avocados in a medium bowl with a fork. Add in your tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and stir to combine the ingredients. Set aside.
Take your sweet potato slices and place them on the prepared wire rack. Bake them in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until your sweet potatoes are fork tender. Turn once halfway through cooking. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, you may remove them from the oven and set aside.
While your sweet potato slices are cooking you can heat half the olive oil in a large non-stick saute pan over medium-low heat. Add your 4 eggs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cover the saute pan and cook until all the whites are cooked and the yolks are cooked to your preferred consistency. This usually takes 3-5 minutes. Remove the saute pan lid, and transfer your eggs to a plate to keep warm. Repeat using the remaining 4 eggs.
To serve you can top each sweet potato toast slice with a spoonful of fresh guacamole and a sunny-side-up egg. Feel free to sprinkle some smoked paprika on top, if you wish and enjoy!
More Delicious Recipes
- Herbed Mustard Beef Sirloin Steak Recipe
- Easy Funnel Cake Recipe
- Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Easy Cod Recipe with Garlic Herb Butter
- Meatloaf with Cheese Recipe
Avocado Sweet Potato Toast
- 1-2 medium sweet potatoes sliced ¼” thick (8 slices total)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil divided
- 8 Large eggs
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- 1 Medium tomato seeded and diced
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: Smoked paprika for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F and place a wire rack inside a large, rimmed baking sheet. Spray rack with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- While the oven is heating, mash the avocadoes in a medium bowl with a fork. Add tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and back pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices on the prepared wire rack and place in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until slices are fork tender, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the sweet potato slices are cooking, heat half the olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add 4 eggs and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cover pan and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are done to the desired consistency, around 3-5 minutes. Remove lid and transfer eggs to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 4 eggs.
- To serve, top each sweet potato slice with a spoonful of fresh guacamole and a warm sunny-side-up egg. Sprinkle with smoked paprika, if desired. Enjoy!