Looking for a healthy black bean sweet potato soup? This is a thick soup that is filled with healthy ingredients that is sure to fill you up. Perfect for a cold night or as a light lunch idea.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
One of my favorite things to eat is soup. I think I could eat it every day. And I love all kinds of soup. It doesn’t matter what kind. Some of my top soup recipes are:
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- White Bean and Turkey Soup | Leftover Turkey Soup
- Copycat Panera Autumn Squash Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Turkey Vegetable Rice Soup Recipe
- Beef Rice Soup Recipe
- White Chicken Chili in the Slow Cooker
- Chicken Florentine Soup
One of the best soup recipes I make is Black Bean and Sweet Potato soup. This is a vegan soup (unless you use the WW variation listed below) filled with all kinds of good tasting ingredients.
Variation to Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
If you are looking for ways to change up this Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup you can:
- Blend It: Use an immersion blender or use a regular blender to create a creamy soup. You can blend the entire soup or blend half of it and then add it back to the unblended half. This gives the soup texture without it being all smooth.
- Add Meat: While this is a vegan soup, it doesn’t have to be. You can shredded chicken or ground beef.
How Many Weight Watcher Points Does Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup Have?
This recipe makes 4 servings and has 4 points per serving. While it might seem a little high in points, it is filling and nutritious.
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Want to Weight Watchers for almost free? Get a Year’s Membership for the Price of a Month – Learn More About Healthi – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
extra virgin olive oil
green bell pepper
red bell pepper
Sea salt and black pepper
crushed red pepper flakes
How to Make Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and add red onion and bell peppers. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
Add crushed red pepper, cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices become fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and black beans. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
Stir in the corn, cilantro, and fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!
Looking for another delicious healthy soup recipe? This Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe is amazing. Even kids like it.
Need more ideas and help to stay on track with Weight Watchers?
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- Don’t let the holidays get your off track. Get your copy of How to Survive a Low Point Holiday.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion diced1 medium
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 2 t. chili powder
- ½ t. dried oregano
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 2 15- oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 c. vegetable broth WW use chicken
- 1 c. frozen corn¼ c. fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and add red onion and bell peppers. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper, cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices become fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and black beans. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro, and fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!
Is it the olive oil that makes it 4 points
THe olive oil and the sweet potatoes. As good as they are for you, they are higher in points.