You have to try this incredible Sausage Gravy and Biscuits Recipe! If you are looking for a hearty breakfast, this recipe is perfect! It has all of the flavor that you love with none of the guilt. This lightened up sausage, biscuits and gravy recipe will leave your stomach full and happy. The best part? You can serve it to your whole family without feeling guilty about what they are eating!
Instagram is one of favorite places to be. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting and fun! Be sure to check out our stories for real time fun!
Sausage Biscuits and with Gravy
I never knew that I would love sausage and biscuits as much as I do. When I was little my mom couldn’t make it worth a darn (sorry mom) and it was always grainy, gritty and the biscuits were soggy. After trying it again at Waffle House, I was hooked. I tried my grandmomma’s recipe (a southern woman and a fantastic cook) and I was a convert. My problem now, my waist and my hips thinks that her recipe might not be the way to go. Since I am looking for lighter versions of my favorite recipes, this recipe for Lightened Up Sausage Gravy and Biscuits was born. With all the flavor and taste of her recipe, this recipe is going to become a family favorite in your house too.
Why This Sausage Gravy Recipe is Amazing
It is great tasting comfort food. Even though it is a lightened up recipe, my goal is always to make sure I keep all the flavor. it still has all the same comfort food taste and feel without all the fat and calories.
It is also an incredibly easy recipe to make. Which I love. It is important that my recipes are not complicated. Who has time for that?
What kind of sausage is best for biscuits and gravy?
You want to use ground sausage for this recipe. I like to use ground turkey sausage. That is because it is a lighter meat than traditional sausage. It saves on fat and calories without sacrificing taste.
Can I Make Sausage Gravy the Night Before?
You can make the gravy the night before. You will follow the recipe as it is written and then let the gravy cool. Once it has cooled, move it to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
Love Recipes? Join our Facebook Group, The Best Recipes Because Mama Loves to Eat
How Do You Make Gravy from Scratch without Flour?
You can make gravy without flour if you need to. Whether you are looking for gluten free recipe of just don’t have flour on hand, you can use cornstarch. You can replace one tablespoon of flour with one teaspoon of cornstarch or about half. So if you are replacing the flour with cornstarch you would need will need about 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
How do you thicken sausage gravy?
If you are making the gravy and it seems like it is too thin, you can easily thicken it. You will want to add more flour, very slowly, and in very small amounts to thicken it. Be sure to whisk it in well each time.
How do I thin my gravy?
If the gravy has gotten to thick as you have cooked it, you can easily thin it with some milk. Add a small amount of milk and whisk it in well. Add the milk slowly because you don’t want to add too much.
How to Store Leftovers
You want to make sure you put the leftovers in an airtight container. Keep it in the refrigerator. If you have leftover biscuits as well, you do not want to keep them in the gravy. This will make biscuits soggy. Keep the biscuits in an airtight container or freezer bag. I like to keep mine stored at room temperature.
How to Reheat
When you are ready to reheat the gravy, you want to place it in a saucepan. heat it until it is heated through. You can also heat it slowly in the microwave. You want to heat it for about 45 seconds at a time, take it out, stir it and then heat it again.
Can Sausage Gravy Be Frozen
You can freeze sausage gravy. This is great if you want to make sure it is always on hand or if you will not finish it before it goes bad.You want to make sure that it is tightly sealed so there’s no air in the container. Also, you should not thaw gravy before heating it because this will change its consistency and flavor. When ready to heat or use, remove from freezer and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes then reheat.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
With a few changes I have taken traditional sausage, biscuits and gravy to something that you can enjoy without getting off track. In this case these biscuits come in at
With store bought canned biscuits:
- Purple- 6 points
- Blue– 6 points
- Green– 6 points
How Much Does This Recipe Cost to Make
As of today, this recipe costs about $0.67 per serving, and a total of $5.38 to make the whole recipe. This recipe makes 8 servings. You can pair this budget friendly meal as is or you can pair it with eggs. I have also been out at a restaurant and gotten it with fried chicken.
- ground turkey sausage
- lite butter
- fat free milk
- white pepper
- Cajun seasoning
- garlic powder
- refrigerated biscuits or Easy 2 Ingredient Dough Rolls or Biscuits
How to Make Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or a silicone baking mat and set aside. Preheat oven according to biscuit package directions.
Add the sausage to a large skillet and cook until no longer pink.
Next, add the butter to the sausage and cook until melted.
Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and cook in for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
Whisk in the milk and seasonings. Bring milk to a boil and then lower the temperature to medium low. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes. Gravy will thicken. Remove from heat.
Open biscuits and remove from package. Bake in your oven according to package directions. Remove and serve immediately with gravy poured on top.
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Recommended Weight Watchers Products
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
Sausage Gravy and Biscuits Recipe
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 tablespoons lite butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits (8)
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or a silicone baking mat and set aside. Preheat oven according to biscuit package directions.
- Add the sausage to a large skillet and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the butter to the sausage and cook until melted.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and cook in for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Whisk in the milk and seasonings. Bring milk to a boil and then lower the temperature to medium low. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes. Gravy will thicken. Remove from heat.
- Open biscuits and remove from package. Bake in your oven according to package directions. Remove and serve immediately with gravy poured on top.