What is more perfect for a scary Halloween then an ultimate scary Halloween costume? This DIY Smiley face will delight any fan and will be terrifying to others.
Scary Halloween Costume
Halloween is coming fast. If you like to have a scary look and want something that will get attention, the Smiley Face Halloween Makeup tutorial is exactly what you need. This DIY Smiley Face Mask isn’t hard to make, but it does take a little time. I think once you see the final effect, the time certainly won’t be an issue.
Buy Smiley to get in the mood for Halloween
The Legend of Smiley Face
Smiley is based on an urband ledgend from Europe. He is said to attack young girls at night. Legend has it that a young woman was out with friends. They spent the night dancing and having drinks at a local club. Leaving when the club closed, the young lady could not get a cab and decided to walk home. She walks through the park and can heal her heel clicking on the walk. Soon she hears someone rustling in the bushes. When Smiley attacks, the young lady begs to be let go. He gives her a choice: death or smiley. Not knowing what he means she continues to beg to be let go. He asks he again: death or smiley. Not knowing what he means, she chooses death. He carves both ends of her mouth into a grotesque smile, leaving her permanently disfigured. The character is know as Smiley Face or Smile of the Clown.
This look is based on the character from the 2012 Smiley movie and it is definitely a scary Halloween makeup idea.
Smiley Face Halloween Costume
What you need for a DIY Smiley Mask:
Foundation paint stick
Black cream makeup
Red or burgundy cream makeup
Eye Liner Pen
Black powder makeup
Black Halloween Hair spray
Directions for Smiley Costume:
- First you need to apply the bald cap and block out your eyebrows. In order to to block out your eye brows, you will need spirit gum and molding wax. Use a spatula and apply some spirit gum to the entire eye brow. Let the spirit gum soak into the hairs. Make sure the spirit gum gets into every hair. When the spirit gum starts to get tacky, spread all of the eye brow hairs downwards. It makes for a smoother surface when you apply the wax. Let the spirit gum dry. It takes about 10 minutes. Use a small amount of wax, and spread it along the eyebrow. Remove any excess and go along the eyebrow. Blend it off into the skin. Now, as you add the foundation or latex over the eyebrows, it will be the same as adding the makeup to your skin.
- Next apply the bald cap. Use spirit gum to have it stick. Trim the edges. Use the liquid latex to smooth the edges and make sure it blends seamlessly.
- Apply liquid latex around the entire face. Use a makeup sponge to apply the latex. Do not apply over the eyes or mouth, but include everywhere else. Apply 3 layers of latex.
- Next, you need to make your nose as hidden as possible. Apply making tape across the bridge of the nose. The idea is to build it up so that the nose does not look like a bump on the face. The masking tape sticks to the latex very well. Once the tape it on, you can not take it off without removing part of the latex.
- Apply liquid latex over the masking tape. Apply 2 coats.
- After that dries, apply some tissue paper over the area. Use a few pieces to make sure that the tape is hidden. Apply another layer of liquid latex.
- Next apply masking tape to the eyes. Leave a large enough slit to see, but you will not be able to see side to side very well.
- Now do tissue and latex like you did with the nose area.
- Build up the chin area so that it is even with the rest of your face. Use about 3 or 4 layers of latex and tissue.
- Next cover your face with foundation. You can use any type of foundation that resembles skin color. Of course costume make up always works best.
- Next, VERY CAREFULLY, cut the latex in the area you want for the smile. This smile should go from cheek bone to cheek bone. Start with a small flap piece and slowly work your way up to form the smile.
- Start adding black to the smile and the eyes. Using a red or burgundy, lightly add the color around the smile. The messier the better because it adds to the creepy factor. You can use a makeup brush to make it easier to apply.
- Use an eye liner pen to draw some stitching around the eyes and the mouth.
- Using black powder makeup, add some shading around the temples very lightly.
- Use black Halloween hair spray and spray lightly over the mask.
- Add some fake blood around the mouth and the set it with hair spray.