Are you looking for an amazing low carb casserole? You have to try this incredible Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole. This keto casserole is so simple to make and is perfect no matter what style of eating you prefer.
Instagram is one of my favorite places to be. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun! Be sure to check out our stories for real-time fun!
Keto Chile Chicken Casserole
This recipe is for a low-carb green chile casserole. It’s easy to make and tastes delicious! You can feel free to add more or less of any ingredient you want, so it’s perfect for people who don’t like spicy foods. If you’re looking for an easy dinner that will impress your friends and family this week, then look no further than this recipe!
The best part about this dish? It takes just 10 minutes to prepare and cook with little effort on the part of the chef (AKA YOU!). I promise you won’t regret trying out this simple yet
What are Green Chiles
If you want to try something new, cook with Green Chiles. They are from the southwestern part of the United States and Mexico. Some varieties are spicy, but most are not. They will make your food taste better without adding much heat.
Is This Meal Spicy
Green chilis are not considered spicy on a normal bases. There are some that are highly spicy and some that are mild. If you are trying to make sure that this recipe is not too spicy and are ok for kids, you want to make sure you buy the mild chilies. Using mild ones will give flavor without adding heat.
Having Trouble Finding Green Chilis
You can substitute the canned green chiles for roasted poblano peppers or diced green bell pepper if you want no heat. These canned green chiles are not really spicy, but they do add a great flavor to the green chili casserole.
How do I store leftovers from the Keto Green Chile Chicken Casserole?
This chicken tastes good and it is easy to store. Sometimes the flavors are better after the chicken has marinaded in the sauce overnight. You can keep them in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to Serve Keto Green Chile Chicken
You can add lots of things to serve this casserole. As you are looking at this recipe, you can also add cauliflower rice, sautéed spinach or other greens. Roasted cauliflower, Roasted Parmesan Cauliflower Steaks or mashed cauliflower is another delicious option. You can add roasted vegetables or zoodles. You can also serve this with a side salad, with this incredible homemade balsamic salad dressing. Add sour cream, Pico de Gallo, salsa or fresh cilantro to the top of your serving.
How to Store
Make sure this casserole has cooled completely and then you can move it to an airtight container or cover it well with plastic wrap. This is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day. The green chili chicken casserole will last for about 4 days in the refrigerator.
Can This Keto Green Chile Chicken Casserole Be Frozen
This is a great freezer meal. You can make it as a freezer meal or you can freeze the leftovers. I like to place this recipe in individual serving sizes and then place it in the freezer. This is great for being able to bring out a small portion to eat as lunch. It will last for up to a month in the freezer.
Can I Use Something Other Than Chicken Breast
We tend to use chicken breast the most in our house because it is what the kids prefer. You can also use chicken thigh, rotisserie chicken or chicken tenderloin. No matter what kind of chicken you use make sure it is cooked to 165 degrees.
There are simple ways to make variations to this recipe.
- If you do not have sour cream on hand, you can also use full fat Greek Yogurt.
- Swap the cheese. You can use different cheese if you have something else on hand or just prefer a different flavor.
- Use Rotisserie Chicken- Sometimes, you want a fast dinner easy, and you do not have time to cook. You can use a store bought, or if you have it frozen, use this rotisserie chicken recipe.
Will People Who Are Not On keto Like This Recipe
Yes. I have often made this recipe for people who are not eating keto. Serve it with a side of rice, black beans or refried beans. Potatoes or roasted root vegetables are tasty too.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in This Casserole
If you want to make this low carb casserole for Weight Watchers it only takes 2 small changes. Since low carb features higher fat foods, it is assumed to use full fat ingredients like full fat cream cheese and full fat cheese. To make this casserole WW friendly, use fat free cream cheese and light or low fat cheese. You can use fat free cheese as well, but many readers have told me that they have a hard time finding it and some simply do not like it. The points for this recipe, using fat free cream cheese, low fat/light shredded cheese and only 14 ounces of enchilada sauce, like the recipe note say, is:
- 7 Points on Blue and Purple
- 11 points on Green
If you choose to make this recipe with Fat Free cheese, which is what I do, the recipe point comes in at:
- 4 Points on Blue and Purple
- 8 points on Green
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Want to Weight Watchers for almost free? Get a Year’s Membership for the Price of a Month – Learn More About Healthi – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
- skinless chicken breasts
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- green enchilada sauce*
- diced green chiles
- cream cheese, softened
- monterey jack cheese
*Note: Using a 28 ounce can of enchilada sauce leaves a lot of sauce in the final casserole, which is great for serving over cauliflower rice. If you desire a less soupy casserole, use a 14 ounce can.
How to Make Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a (9×13) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a gallon size freezer bag, shake together the dry seasonings. Add the chicken, sealing the bag. Toss the bag and knead the chicken until the spices are evenly distributed.
Dump the chicken into the casserole dish, creating an even layer with space between the chunks if possible.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until soft and creamy. Stir in half of green enchilada sauce, green chiles, sour cream and 1 cup of cheese. Spread over the chicken layer.
Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the cream cheese layer and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, the cheese has melted, and the edges are bubbling.
Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, black olives, diced tomatoes, and diced avocado if desired.
Need more ideas and help to stay on track with Weight Watchers?
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- Don’t let the holidays get your off track. Get your copy of How to Survive a Low Point Holiday.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 ounce green enchilada sauce* see note
- 7 diced green chiles
- 8 cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a (9×13) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a gallon size freezer bag, shake together the dry seasonings. Add the chicken, sealing the bag. Toss the bag and knead the chicken until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Dump the chicken into the casserole dish, creating an even layer with space between the chunks of chicken if possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until soft and creamy. Stir in half of green enchilada sauce, green chiles, sour cream and 1 cup of cheese. Spread over the chicken layer.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the cream cheese layer and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, the cheese has melted, and the edges are bubbling.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, black olives, diced tomatoes, and diced avocado if desired.
Weight Watchers InformationWith Fat Free Cheese, fat free cream cheese and 14 ounces of enchilada sauce
- 4 points on blue and purple
- 8 points on green
- 7 Points on Blue and Purple
- 11 points on Green
Leave a Reply