Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes are moist, flavorful, and a fun twist on a traditional chocolate cupcake. Serve up this cupcake with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and it’s pure perfection.
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Chocolate covered anything is one of the first things that people tell me they think of when they are thinking of a perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day. Me? I think chocolate covered anything is perfect for, well, anytime. Just bring on the chocolate.
If you love creating delicious treats for Valentines Day, I have a few favorites that I think you will really enjoy like my White Chocolate Stuffed Raspberries, my Wine-infused Chocolate Covered Strawberries, and my Hershey Kiss Cookies.
Before you get started on this recipe, here are a few tips and suggestions.
How Do I Make the Perfect Cupcake?
There are two key things that I think make the perfect cupcake. One is to bring everything to room temperature and to keep checking on the baking process. Don’t let them overbake.
What Makes Cupcakes Light and Fluffy?
By not overmixing the batter. When you overheat the batter, it can make the cupcakes tough.
Do you Bake Cupcakes on the Top or Bottom Rack?
Actually neither. Bake them on the middle rack in the middle of the oven. That way it goes baked all the way around at the same temp.
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step directions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Chocolate cake mix or homemade cake recipe
- Maraschino cherries – you will use these for flavoring and for the top.
- Chocolate syrup – this will garnish the top of the cupcake.
Ready to Make these Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes?
You will find the full list of ingredients as well as the directions below in the printable recipe card. I have included a few in-process photos for your reference.
Step 1: Bake the cupcakes.
Step 2: Make the frosting.
Step 3: Frost the cupcakes and drizzle the syrup on the top.
Step 4: Enjoy.
MORE VALENTINES RECIPES
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- Stand Mixer
- Large bowl
- Cupcake/muffin tin
- Chocolate Cake Mix Can be store-bought or homemade
- Ingredients to make cake mix
- 1 jar Maraschino Cherries
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Syrup
- 6 tbsps. powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 or other required temperature on the cake mix.
- Prepare the cake mix according to directions and bake accordingly. When adding batter to the muffin tins, add about 1/4 cup of batter to each tin. Either use cupcake liners or spray the tins with cooking spray.
- Add powdered sugar to a large bowl and add in water, 1 tbsp. to get the frosting to the texture you are looking for. Slowly add in one tbsp. at a time of the juice from the cherries. Your goal is for your frosting to taste just like the cherry juice.
- After your cupcakes have cooled, frost them, drizzle the chocolate syrup on top and then add the cherry.