Caramelized onions are savory, rich, and absolutely out of this world. Although these onions take a little time to prepare, they are well worth the effort. And they just don’t go on top of burgers! You can use these savory onions in dips, soups, and of course, pizza!
How to Make Caramelized Sauteed Onions
Caramelizing onions are a great way to bring out the natural sugars in such a basic vegetable.
If you’ve ever noshed on a bowl of cheesy French Onion Soup, then you have enjoyed these delicious onions.
Believe me, once you start making onions this way, your family will be begging you to make them again. If you are looking for some recipes to use the onions in, I have one stellar recipe that I think you might enjoy. My Smothered Pork Chops are savory and simply delish!
You can find a complete printable list of all of the ingredients you will need to make these at the bottom of the post.
Yellow onions – you can also use sweet onions if you prefer. Learn How to Cut Onions without Crying
Extra virgin olive oil – you can use butter if you’d like
Balsamic vinegar – adding this to the onions is what really brings out the flavor.
FAQ About the Recipe
What is the difference between caramelized onions and sautéed onions?
Caramelized sauteed onions are simmered over a lower heat for up to an hour so that the natural sugars in the onions come out. Sautéed onions are heated over a higher temp and a shorter time.
How do you know onions are caramelized?
Once the onions have a really dark and rich looking color is a good indication.
How long do onions last in the fridge?
Up to four days.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Caramelized Onions
These onions are very easy to make. And what is nice is that onions themselves are considered 0 points. There is some oil in this recipe so that adds some points. In my opinion, this little bit of of points is worth it because the amount of flavor is worth it.
|Weight Watchers Plans
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Want to Weight Watchers for almost free? Get a Year’s Membership for the Price of a Month – Learn More About Healthi – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Save Money on Weight Watchers. One Year on iTrackBites for about the cost of 1 month on Weight Watchers. All the same plans and points. Use code
Code_DebiMurray to save
How to Make Caramelized Onions
You will find the complete steps below in the recipe card. I have included in-process photos for your reference.
Step 1: Cut the onion into thin slices.
Step 2: Add the onion into the skillet and drizzle olive oil over them.
Step 3: Season and cook on low until they are really dark and rich looking.
Step 4: Add the balsamic vinegar to deglaze.
Step 5: Enjoy or store for later.
- Bacon Mozzarella Keto Onion Rings
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Drunkard Noodles
Need more ideas and help to stay on track with Weight Watchers?
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- Don’t let the holidays get your off track. Get your copy of How to Survive a Low Point Holiday.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
How to Caramelize Onions
- Remove both ends of onion and cut in half lengthwise. Turn one piece of onion onto flat side and cut into thin slices, working from one end to another. Repeat until all onions are sliced.
- Add onion slices to the skillet and drizzle olive oil over the top. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Slowly cook the onions down over medium heat for 45 minutes to an hour. (Total cooking time will depend on how many onions were used, the sugar content in the onions, and how old they are). Stir the onions every 5 or 10 minutes while they are cooking to prevent scorching.
- Once the onions are done caramelizing, add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan. While the liquid is bubbling, gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to incorporate the fond (the brown bits on the bottom of the pan) into the onions.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Use immediately, or cool and store in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!