This healthy green bean casserole is perfect for anyone who loves this classic side dish but wants a version that is lighter on fat and calories. Easy and Delicious, no one will know it is healthy too.
The Best Healthy Green Bean Casserole
My family absolutely loves green bean casserole. With several family members watching their calories and fat this year, that includes using Weight Watchers, I wanted to make an incredible healthy green bean casserole that everyone will love and no one would realize it was a lightened up green bean casserole.
Is this a Healthy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
The simple answer is yes. I took my favorite green bean casserole by Paula Deen and tweaked it. Well, maybe that doesn’t quite cover it. I took the recipe and made it much lighter.
Can I use Frozen Green Beans
When I make this recipe I like to use fresh green beans just because I like fresh ones better than frozen. However, there have been years I have made it with frozen simply because frozen are cheaper and sometimes my store didn’t have fresh green beans. I do NOT like to use canned green beans. The last time canned green beans it did not have the same vibrant color and it has a much more mushy consistency.
But I Don’t Like Green Bean Casserole
I never used to enjoy green bean casserole. My mom would make it and I simply did not like green bean casserole. That was until I made it myself one year. I was trying to lighten my mom’s workload so I made it. Having no idea what should be in it, I fell in love with Paula Deen’s and then I found out I just don’t like mushy green bean casserole.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in this Healthy Green Bean Recipe
My traditional green bean casserole has 11 WW SmartPoints per serving. This new and improved lightened up green bean casserole has 3 Weight Watchers points. And believe me, you are not going to miss the extra points. I made small changes that made a big impact. I used light butter and cut down on the amount of french fried onions. and instead of the amount of cheese it would normally have, I cut it down and used fat free. You will never notice.
What is in Green Bean Casserole
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step by step directions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- French-fried onion rings
- 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
- chicken broth
- fresh green beans – Can use frozen
- onions – Learn How to Cut Onions without Crying
- light butter
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder
- fat free cheddar cheese – optional
How to Make a Healthy Green Bean Casserole
Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and sautee the mushrooms and onions.
Meanwhile, boil the fresh green beans in the chicken broth for 10 minutes. If using frozen green beans, boil according to the directions on the bag. Drain.
Add the green beans to the mushrooms and mix in the cream of mushroom soup.
Once it is combined well, pour it into a greased casserole pan. Top with the fried onions. Be sure to spread them out over the entire casserole.*
Bake for 30 minutes or until it is heated through.
*If adding cheese do not add the french fried onions yet. Bake for 20 minutes, pull the casserole out, add the cheese and top with french fried onions and then bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and casserole is baked through.
Looking for other healthy holiday recipes?
Don’t let the holidays throw you off track. Try these other healthy recipes that are perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- Easy Low Sugar Apple Pie
- Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte Starbucks
- Pumpkin Spice Cocktail
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
The Best Healthy Green Bean Casserole
- 1/2 cup French-fried onion rings
- 10 3/4 ounce 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh green beans Can use frozen
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1 tbsp light butter
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese optional
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and sautee the mushrooms and onions.
- Meanwhile, boil the fresh green beans in the chicken broth for 10 minutes. If using frozen green beans, boil according to the directions on the bag. Drain.
- Add the green beans to the mushrooms and mix in the cream of mushroom soup.
- Once it is combined well, pour it into a greased casserole pan. Top with the fried onions. Be sure to spread them out over the entire casserole.*
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it is heated through.
- *If adding cheese do not add the french fried onions yet. Bake for 20 minutes, pull the casserole out, add the cheese and top with french fried onions and then bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and casserole is baked through.
Need more ideas and help to stay on track with Weight Watchers?
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Recommended Weight Watchers Products
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.