Try our delicious Savory Sweet Potato Casserole! It’s a perfect combination of rich flavors and comforting goodness. This recipe features tender sweet potatoes, savory spices, and a crunchy walnut topping. This is one of the best savory sweet potato recipes. Perfect for your Thanksgiving Meal or holiday gatherings.
Savory Sweet Potato Recipe
Sweet potatoes are healthier than regular white potatoes, and often taste better too. They are filled with vitamins and do not cause the blood sugar spike that often comes with regular potatoes. Using this recipe for creamy mash sweet potatoes, you will have a savory sweet potato dish that is perfect for any dinner.
When people think of sweet potatoes, they often think of the ones served at Thanksgiving. You know the ones. It is extremely sweet with marshmallows in it. While these are perfect for some people, I prefer savory sweet potatoes. This recipe for creamy mashed sweet potatoes with fresh thyme is a Savory Sweet Potato Mash. While it still has a sweetness to it, it is more savory than sweet.
Savory Ingredients in Mashed Sweet Potatoes
A lot of people think that making mashed sweet potatoes has to be difficult. It is actually extremely easy to make sweet potatoes. If you can make regular mashed potatoes, you can make mashed sweet potatoes. Creamy mashed sweet potatoes are perfect to make for Thanksgiving side dishes or Christmas, but it also works great for a weeknight dinner.
- Sweet potatoes: You can use any variety of sweet potatoes. The most common ones are the bright orange ones, but you can also use purple sweet potatoes.
- Unsalted butter – You can also use salted butter, but you may want to adjust the amount of salt added.
- Cream cheese – This adds a creamy texture to the mashed sweet potatoes. You can use regular or reduced-fat cream cheese.
- Half and half – You can also use milk or heavy cream, but half and half add the perfect balance of creaminess without being too heavy. Learn what’s is half and half.
- Spices and seasonings: Fresh thyme leaves, Ground cinnamon, Ground allspice, and Salt and black pepper to taste.
How to Make Savory Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Cook the Sweet Potatoes: Add water to a large pot of water with cold water. Add the sweet potatoes. Bring the water to a boil and cook until they are fork tender. Drain the water and return the potatoes back to the pot.
Mash the Potatoes: Add butter, cream cheese, and half & half to the sweet potatoes. Use a hand-help mixer or immersion blender. Add the spices to the mashed sweet potatoes. Serve in a large bowl, family style for your holiday table.
Make the Whipped Cream Topping: Blend cream cheese, half & half, and a dash of cinnamon using an immersion blender until it is light and fluffy. Cover with aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator until you serve it with the sweet potato mixture.
Time-Saving Tip: The smaller the sweet potatoes are cut before boiling, the faster they will cook.
🥄 Variations Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Use different spices: Experiment with different fresh herbs or spice combinations, such as nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice, to add depth of flavor to your casserole.
- Add bacon: For a heartier version, top the casserole dish with crumbled bacon before baking.
- Make it a vegan sweet potato casserole: Omit the cream cheese and replace it with a non-dairy alternative, such as vegan cream cheese, coconut milk or other plant-based milk, to make this dish suitable for vegetarians.
🍽️ What to Serve With Sweet Potato Casserole
This is the perfect side dish. It goes with everything. It is a savory casserole that is healthy and nutritious and is great for every day and a special occasion.
- Turkey or ham: This casserole pairs perfectly with classic holiday proteins like turkey and ham.
- Green beans: A side of green beans with bacon adds a refreshing contrast to the warm sweetness of the casserole.
- Cranberry sauce: The tartness of cranberry sauce complements the sweetness of this dish.
- Roast Potatoes: For a potato-themed meal, serve this sweet potato casserole with roasted potatoes seasoned with herbs and spices.
- Mashed potatoes: Serve this sweet potato casserole alongside traditional mashed potatoes for a delicious twist on a classic side dish.
🍶 Storing Creamy Sweet Potatoes
Refrigerator Storage: This sweet potato casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Cover tightly with foil or transfer to an airtight container before placing in the fridge.
Freezer Storage: You can store this casserole in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrap tightly with foil and place in a freezer-safe bag or container before freezing.
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F and place the creamy mashed sweet potatoes in a baking dish, covered with foil, in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Microwave: For a quicker option, you can microwave individual portions of the casserole for about 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Make sure to cover it with a microwave-safe lid or paper towel to prevent splatters.
💭Tip for Making the Perfect Sweet Potato Casserole
- Don’t forget the toppings: The marshmallows and pecans on top of this dish give it a delicious crunchy texture. Make sure to sprinkle enough of both for every bite to have that perfect combination of sweetness and crunchiness.
- Use fresh sweet potatoes: While canned sweet potatoes can be used, using fresh ones will result in a richer and more flavorful casserole. Plus, it’s a great way to incorporate seasonal produce into your meals.
- Adjust the sweetness: If you prefer a less sweet casserole, you can reduce the amount of brown sugar or use alternatives like honey or maple syrup.
- Make it ahead of time: This casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer for later. This is a great time-saving option for busy holiday meals or potlucks.
Can I use canned sweet potatoes for this casserole?
Technically, you can use canned sweet potatoes but using fresh ones will result in a more flavorful dish.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Absolutely! This casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer until ready to serve.
Can I make substitutions for the topping?
Yes, you can use alternatives like marshmallow fluff or chopped pecans instead of walnuts for the topping, making it more like a traditional sweet potato casserole. You can also skip the toppings altogether if desired.
🍴More Sweet Potato Recipes
Looking for more ways to incorporate sweet potatoes into your meals? Here are a few delicious recipes to try:
- Pork Stew with Sweet Potatoes
- Avocado Sweet Potato Toast
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Frittata
Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Thyme
- Whipped cream cheese**
- Walnuts halves toasted
Whipped Cream Cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 oz half &half
- 1 dash cinnamon
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain thoroughly and return to the pot.
- Add butter, cream cheese, and half & half to the sweet potatoes and mash with an immersion blender or a hand-held mixer. For a thinner consistency, add more half & half, if desired.
- Once the potatoes are creamy, stir in thyme leaves, cinnamon, and allspice until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately topped with a spoonful of whipped cream cheese and/or toasted walnuts, if desired. Enjoy!
To make whipped cream cheese topping
- Blend the ingredients with an immersion blender or hand-held mixer until light and fluffy.
- Cover and store any leftovers in the refrigerator and use wherever you enjoy regular cream cheese.