Looking for a pressure cooker red beans and sausage recipe? This is perfect. Very little prep work. Easy to get dinner on the table fast. Learn how to Cook Red Beans in the Instant Pot with sausage.
Pressure Cooker Red Beans and Sausage
My mom and I love gadgets: Kitchen gadgets of all kinds. She is always buying them from QVC (she is a complete QVC junkie) Her recent purchase was a pressure cooker. But the problem is, she got it and didn’t know what to do with it. She had no idea what to make in it. So she sent it to me, to figure it out, find some recipes and teach her how to use it. I search online for some great recipes and then decided to jump in a give it a try.
I decided to make red beans and sausage. I love spicy sausage and I love red beans. I used a recipe from Allrecipes as a jumping off point. I changed a few things and this is what I came up with. It can easily be changed to a crock pot or stove top recipe by changing the cooking times.
How to Store Pressure Cooker Red Beans and Sausage
Once the food has cooked, you want to remove it from the pressure cooker. You want to store it in an airtight container or a freezer bag. You can keep it in the refrigerator as leftovers for another night or you can store it in the freezer as a freezer meal.
How Long Does Red Beans and Sausage Last
When you keep these beans and sausage in the refrigerator it will last about 4 days. You can store it in the freezer and it will last for about 3 months.
How to Reheat Sausage and beans
You can reheat this sausage and beans by cooking them on the stovetop or in the microwave. If you are using an Instant Pot or another pressure cooker that also works to saute, you can reheat right in there as well. I do not keep mine in the pressure cooker pan after they have cooled, but for those that do, this is an easy way to reheat that doesn’t dirty another pot.
Does your Instant Pot Say Burn? Learn what the message means and how to prevent it.
Pressure Cooker Red Bean and Sausage Ingredients
- Dried red beans
- Cajun seasoning
- Celery stalks
- Green pepper
- Dried parsley
- Ground cumin
After chopping all the veggies and sausage, add to the pressure cooker. Add in spices. Then add water. It needs to cover the ingredients, but do not go over the maximum level mark on your cooker. Most cookers need at least 1 cup of water or liquid in order to create to work properly.
Stir to combine the ingredients.
Seal the pressure lid and bring pot to full pressure over high heat. Then Reduce heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 30 minutes.
Allow pressure to drop naturally, called a slow release. Remove lid carefully. Stir again and serve.
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
Mix together the following spices:
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
3 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 dried oregano
1 1/2 dried thyme
red pepper flakes for additional heat if you want.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Red Bean and Sausage Pressure Cooker Recipe
- 1 pound of dried red beans washed
- 2 lbs spicy sausage use regular sausage if you like, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning. I made my own recipe included
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- About 5 cups of water Enough to cover ingredients.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 dried oregano
- 1 1/2 dried thyme
- red pepper flakes for additional heat if you want.
- After chopping all the veggies and sausage, add to the pressure cooker. Add in spices. Then add water. It needs to cover the ingredients, but do not go over the maximum level mark on your cooker. Most cookers need at least 1 cup of water or liquid in order to create to work properly.
- Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Seal the pressure lid and bring pot to full pressure over high heat. Then Reduce heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Allow pressure to drop naturally, called a slow release. Remove lid carefully. Stir again and serve.
- Pressure cookers save time and money. Try this fantastic recipe of red beans and sausage to see how your easy it is. Enjoy the Pressure Cooker Recipe that can easily be made in an instant pot.
This looks good! I’m still figuring out how to use my pressure cooker and this sounds like a great way to enjoy beans quickly!
I’ve always wanted a pressure cooker and I don’t know why….I have NO idea how to use one!
Thanks for sharing this hearty, good recipe with us!