Looking for an easy and delicious recipe to make your next meal special? Get your taste buds ready for this classic chicken dish. Our easy-to-follow recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu is sure to impress.
❤️ Why you’ll love it
- It is the perfect combination of crispy coating, gooey cheese, savory ham, and tender chicken.
- Easy enough for every day but fancy enough for guests or special occasions.
- This recipe works for outstanding cooks to novice ones.
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken cutlet
- Deli ham slices- I love using smoky ham.
- Baby Swiss cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper
- All-purpose flour
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Creamy Butter Sauce to top the Chicken Cordon Bleu
🍳 How to Make
You will find a complete list of step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish.
- On a cutting board, pound the chicken breast, between sheets of plastic wrap, to about ¼” thick thin cutlets. Place 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of cheese on each piece of chicken.
- Tightly roll the chicken and secure it with a toothpick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the flour, Italian seasoning, and garlic in a shallow bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- In another small bowl, combine the eggs and water to create an egg wash.
- In a third bowl, add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and more Italian seasoning.
- Dredge the chicken rolls in the flour mixture on all sides. Next, dip the chicken in the egg mixture, and then roll it in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken bundles on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature 165 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer.
Hint: Add the melted butter sauce on top of the chicken after baking. It is a simple sauce to make but adds so much flavor
🥄 Variations to this Classic Dish
- Try different cheeses like Gruyere or Provolone.
- You can also use bacon or turkey ham instead of deli ham.
- You can also use leftover ham that is sliced very thin, like spiral ham slices.
- Use chicken thighs instead of tender chicken breasts.
- Add onion powder to the seasoning mixture.
- If you need to make it keto, replace the flour and breadcrumbs with almond flour and crushed pork rinds.
- A mushroom sauce can be used instead of the butter sauce for a creamy mushroom flavor.
🍽️ What to Serve
- Almost anything will be the perfect complement to this recipe.
- Serve with your favorite sides like potatoes. Mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes, or roasted potatoes.
- Wild rice pilaf or cauliflower rice
- Roasted vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, green beans, or Brussels sprouts.
- Salad and Garlic bread
Refrigerator Storage: This will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezer Storage: To store longer, wrap each chicken breast individually with plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Reheat by placing the chicken cordon bleu on a baking sheet at 350˚F for 10-15 minutes, until heated through.
- If you do not have a meat mallet for pounding the chicken, you can use a rolling pin.
- Be sure to fully cook the chicken before eating.
- If you use thicker slice of ham, be sure to roll them tightly so that they stay inside the chicken while baking.
- If you prefer a crispier coating, double-dip the chicken in egg and bread crumbs.
Baby Swiss and Gruyere are two of the most popular cheeses used for this dish. Provolone and mozzarella are also great options.
Yes, pounding the chicken ensures that it cooks evenly and allows for a tighter roll when adding the cheese and ham.
Yes, you can use turkey breasts or chicken thighs in place of the traditional chicken breast. You may need to adjust the baking time depending on the thickness of the meat.
Love Recipes? Join our Facebook Group, The Best Must Try Recipes, Easy Delicious Recipes for Everyone
Need to change the number of servings? You can click on the number of servings and change the number. This will adjust the ingredient measurements to what you need.
If you love this recipe, come back and give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- large baking sheet
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- meat mallet
- shallow bowl
- 2 medium bowls with high enough edges for the dredging
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices deli ham
- 8 slices baby Swiss cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until ¼” thick. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of deli ham and 2 slices of Swiss cheese.
- Tightly jelly roll each chicken breast and secure it with toothpicks. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and set aside.
- Add the flour, ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a shallow bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add the eggs and water to a second bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and remaining Italian seasoning to a third bowl. Lightly season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the seasoned flour until covered on all sides. Then dip the floured breasts into the egg wash and roll until coated. Finally, roll the egg-covered breasts in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Transfer each breast to the prepared baking sheet and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of just below 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove chicken from oven and let cool for several minutes before slicing.
Leave a Reply