Looking for a delicious Old Fashion Gingerbread Cake recipe? You need this recipe. This moist gingerbread cake is topped with an amazing Cinnamon Frosting that is sure to make this Old Fashion Gingerbread Cake melt in your mouth.
Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
Old Fashion Gingerbread Cake is one of those desserts that everyone will love. Gingerbread is perfect for Christmas and I think that is why this gingerbread cake has stood the test of time. It is simply too good not to make.
What is Gingerbread Made Of?
Gingerbread is a flavor all its own. It is a combination of flavors that give it its unique flavor. It is sweet with ginger and a mix of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, and anise. Then it is sweetened with molasses, brown sugar, corn syrup or honey. Sometimes it is a combination of all of the above.
How Long Does Gingerbread Cake Last
You will want to store this cake at room temperature. The important thing is to make sure that the cake is covered well. This will keep the gingerbread cake from going bad and getting stale or dried out. When the cake is covered well or stored in an airtight container, the cake will last up to 5 days. While it will last a few days longer in the refrigerator, the refrigerator will dry it out and make it taste stale before its time.
Can I Freeze Gingerbread Cake with Cinnamon Frosting?
I love freezing cake. I like to cut the cake into slices and then wrap each one by itself so that I can take a piece or two out and not the whole cake. If you are worried about the cinnamon frosting sticking to the plastic wrap, you can freeze the cake without being covered first and then you can wrap it after the frosting has frozen. When you are ready to thaw the cake, be sure to unwrap it first.
Another option is to not add the frosting until you are ready to serve it after it has been thawed.
Ingredients for Gingerbread Cake Recipe
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Powder sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
Other Equipment you Will Need
- 9 x 9 inch baking pan
- cooking spray
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
How to Make Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prep baking pan with cooking spray. Line the baking pan with parchment paper.
Add the butter to the large mixing bowl.
Pour the boiling water over the butter in the bowl.
Set the bowl aside for a few minutes.
Whisk the butter and water until the butter has melted.
Add the brown sugar, molasses, and egg to the bowl.
Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined.
Slowly add the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until smooth.
Scoop the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes (Or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean)
Set aside to cool.
How to Make Cinnamon Frosting
Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients.
Beat frosting ingredients until smooth and fluffy
Want More Delicious Gingerbread Recipes
If you love gingerbread flavor, then you are going to love these other gingerbread recipes. Each is packed with gingerbread flavor but has a twist on another classic dessert.
- Gingerbread Cheesecake
- Gingerbread Truffles
- Starbucks Gingerbread Latte
- Gingerbread Pillsbury Monkey Bread Recipe
- 1/2 C unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 C water boiling
- 1/2 C light brown sugar loosely packed
- 1/2 C molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 6 C powder sugar
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep baking pan with cooking spray.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add the butter to the large mixing bowl. Pour the boiling water over the butter in the bowl. Set the bowl aside for a few minutes. Whisk the butter and water until the butter has melted.
- Add the brown sugar,molasses, and egg to the bowl. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Slowly add the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes (Or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean)
- Set aside to cool.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients
- Beat frosting ingredients until smooth and fluffy
- Cut into pieces.
- Can serve with dollops of frosting on top.