Looking for a delicious and easy dinner idea? These baked turkey meatballs are the perfect dish to whip up. They’re full of flavor, filling, and healthy! This recipe will be sure to satisfy your family.
Instagram is one of my favorite places to be. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun! Be sure to check out our stories for real-time fun!
Baked Turkey Meatball Recipe
These homemade meatballs made with ground turkey are absolutely delicious. They’re less greasy than beef and can be served in a variety of ways. You could serve them with spaghetti, over rice, or even pasta for a low-carb meal! You can also serve it with alfredo sauce, as BBQ meatballs, or served in grape jelly sauce.
How to make meatballs without breadcrumbs
I make a lot of my meatballs without breadcrumbs. I do like filler much so I tend to not use it often. however, with ground turkey, I always add the breadcrumbs. It helps to hold the moisture in.
If you nee an option that doesn’t include breadcrumbs, you can also use 3/4 cup of Lamond flour. That will do the same thing as the breadcrumbs in this instance.
Are turkey meatballs healthy?
Baked meatballs made with ground turkey are a good source of protein. They also provide some iron and vitamin B12, which is important for maintaining healthy red blood cells. Using turkey also makes them low in fat and calories, which is great when you are trying to keep these numbers low.
Remember when making these that you will need to cook them longer than beef or pork because they do not have as much fat content.
How long do you cook them?
It only takes about 20 minutes to bake these meatballs. You have to make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees, because this is turkey and it needs to be cooked thoroughly.
Can The Be Frozen
You can freeze them. You should cook them first and then allow them to cool on the sheet pan or in a baking dish before freezing. I like to freeze the meatballs on a tray or plate before moving them to a freezer bag. This prevents them from sticking together. When they are frozen solid place them into plastic storage bags and seal tightly. Then I can remove as many as I want when I want to reheat them later.
Do They Need To Be Thawed?
When ready to eat, remove it from the freezer and thaw by placing it in the refrigerator overnight.
How to Serve
There are so many ways to serve these. You can serve them as is or over pasta with sauce. You can serve them with meatballs with sage lemon butter sauce. Serve them with alfredo, BBQ sauce, or as a sub.
How to store them
Be sure to store them in an airtight container or in plastic storage bags. Keep the meatballs in the refrigerator or move them to the freezer if you need them last longer. The meatballs will last for about 5 days in the refrigerator and will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How do you keep the meatballs from falling apart?
You want to make sure you are using a binder. In this case, the binder is the eggs. It is mixed in with the meat and will keep them from falling apart. Make sure you are keeping the rations the same if you are increasing the amount you are making.
How to prepare meatballs ahead of time
These healthy turkey meatballs can easily be prepped ahead of time! Simply mix and form the meatballs then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper then tightly cover the meatballs with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. You can prep these meatballs up to one, or even two days ahead of time.
What’s the best method to get equal portions?
I like to use a cookie scoop to get my meatballs the same size. It makes it easy to scoop and it is easy to make sure they are all the same size for baking. Another option is to use a kitchen scale. For me, the scoop is an easier option, however.
How Many Weight Watchers Points
If these were made from turkey breast these meatballs would be lower in points than typical beef ones. However, these are made from ground turkey in general which tends to be higher in points because it has dark meat and other fattier parts in it. I do not recommend making these meatballs in turkey breast alone because there isn’t enough fat in it to make it taste good. I use 2 lbs of 93% ground turkey and then 1 pound of ground turkey breast to make it lighter but not too dry. The points in these using ground turkey is:
- 3 Point son Blue and Purple
- 4 Points on Green
New to WW? Trying to Decide on What Plan is Best? Use these guides to help. Everything You Need to Know about the Green Plan, Blue and Purple coming soon.
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step directions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- ground turkey
- ground turkey breast
- yellow onion
- olive oil
- soy sauce or liquid aminos
- sugar free ketchup
- onion powder
- Cookie Scoop
How To Make the Best, Juiciest Turkey Meatballs
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions to the pan and cook until they are soft.
Place the onions in a bowl and mix in the ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, and seasonings.
Use a cookie scoop and scoop out 1 inch balls.
Place them on the baking sheet.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the internal temperature is 165 degrees on the inside.
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Recommended Weight Watchers Products
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
Baked Turkey Meatballs
- 2 pounds 93% ground turkey
- 1 pounds 99% ground turkey breast
- ⅓ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 3 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions to the pan and cook until they are soft.
- Place the onions in a bowl and mix in the ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, and seasonings.
- Use a cookie scoop and scoop out 1 inch balls.
- Place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the internal temperature is 165 degrees on the inside.