Have you ever wondered how to Make your Own Refried Beans? Making your own refried beans is a great way to save money and ensure that the ingredients are healthy. These refried beans are easy to make and the taste is better than anything from a can.
Homemade Refried Black Beans Recipe
Refried beans are a staple of Mexican cuisine that can be used in many dishes. One of the most popular is tacos, but they also work well as a base for chili, like Vegetarian Chili Recipe or even soup. I also use refried beans in The Best Individual 7 Layer Dip Cups Recipe and The Best Healthy Chicken Enchiladas as well as eating them as a side dish. Making your own refried beans is not only economical, it’s easy!
Why Are They Called Refried Beans?
“Refried” doesn’t mean the beans have been fried twice. The word comes from the Spanish name for the dish frijoles refritos, which means “well-fried”. To make them you first cook them in water to soften them and then fry them with fat and seasonings either on a stove or over an open flame.
The phrase ‘refried’ is often misused to refer specifically to only those dishes using cooked beans that are subsequently fried again–but it actually refers more broadly than this definition implies since all of these foods share one thing: they’re made by frying something!
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Refried Beans
Beans can be part of a low point dinner. Beans are free on Blue and Purple and are 5 points on Green. When you add the oil, it does add some points to the recipe. However, I think it is worth it because the flavor is amazing. I am including the points for both with and without the oil.
- Purple- 0 Points
- Blue– 0 Points
- Green– 5 Points
- Purple– 2 points
- Blue – 2 points
- Green – 7 points
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step by step directions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Extra virgin olive oil- You can use other oils, lard or bacon grease as well.
- Yellow onion- dice the onions small – Learn How to Cut Onions without Crying
- Garlic cloves- I like to use the preminced garlic
- Salt and pepper- To taste
- Canned pinto beans or black beans- Drain the beans and rinse them
- Ground cumin, Chili powder, and Smoked paprika- This gives that traditional Mexican flavor
How to Make the Best Refried Beans
Add the onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Cook the onions until they are translucent, which takes about 4 to 5 minutes
Add the beans, cumin, chili powder, and paprika.Cook the beans, stirring occasionally until the beans are heated through and starting to fall apart slightly, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Take the beans off the heat and mash the beans using a potato masher.
Add fresh cilantro, for garnish, and serve.
More Delicious Mexican Recipes
- Delicious Rotisserie Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- The Best Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- The Best Individual 7 Layer Dip Cups Recipe
- Easy Black Bean Tacos
- Salsa Chicken
Homemade Refried Black Beans Recipe
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 16- oz. cans pinto beans or black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cook the onions until they are translucent, which takes about 4 to 5 minutes
- Add the beans, cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
- Cook the beans, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and starting to fall apart slightly, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Take the beans off the heat and mash the beans using a potato masher.
- Add fresh cilantro, for garnish, and serve.