This salsa verde recipe is the best salsa you’ll ever taste. It’s made from fresh ingredients, and it has a tangy flavor that will make your mouth water! Give this salsa a try for dinner tonight – I promise you won’t regret it!
You have to Try This Salsa Recipe
Instagram is one of my favorite places to be. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun! Be sure to check out our stories for real-time fun!
If you love Mexican food, you have had this before. While take out is awesome, but I love when I make my favorites at home. This recipe is the best you’ll ever taste. It’s made from fresh ingredients, and has a tangy flavor to make your mouth water! This will be perfect for dinner tonight – I promise it won’t disappoint.
This tomato-based sauce can be served over fried eggs or omelettes, as well as used in many other recipes such as tacos or enchiladas. You can also use it as a base for other dishes such as soups or casseroles. This recipe can be used in so many different recipes or enjoy it with chips.
What Does It Taste Like?
It has a tangy flavor with hints of spice from jalapeños and pepper flakes that gives any dish a zesty twist.
How Long Does It Last
This salsa verde will last about a week in the fridge. Because of the acidic content, it will not last more than that.
How to Store
You want to store the it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can use a tupperware style bowl with a lid, a recycled jar, like a mason jar or an old pasta jar that has been cleaned well or even a baggies.
Can It Be Frozen
This recipe uses tomatillos rather than tomatoes. I like to freeze this recipe whenever I have extras. You can freeze it in small containers or plastic bags. You can also freeze it in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, remove the sauce and place it in a larger freezer bag. This is a great way to have the it to use for later.
Recipes Using This Salsa Verde Recipe
There are so many ways that you can use this sauce. It can be used as a dip for chips or added over your eggs. I like to add it these recipes to add a delicious flavor to elevate everything toa new level. Vegetarian Chili Recipe, Easy White Chicken Chili in the Slow Cooker, Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili , The Best Healthy Chicken Enchiladas, Delicious Rotisserie Chicken Enchilada Casserole, The Best Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
Tips and tricks
1. Make sure your ingredients are fresh
2. Don’t use tomatoes that have been sitting in the fridge too long or they will make the salsa watery
3. Add a little bit of lime juice to give it some tang
Variations to This Recipe
This recipe can be varied in many different ways to suit you best. Some popular variants include adding a variety of ingredients such as ground beef, or soy crumbles corn, cilantro, and onion. This recipe is also mixed with soursop, which gives it a citrusy flavor and is used in many traditional Caribbean recipes. This dish can also be prepared with dried chipotle peppers or even blended into a soup.
Add diced jalapeños for spiciness
Add coconut milk to make it creamier
Add lime juice to add some tang
Soak the it overnight for a richer flavor.
There are many different variations to this recipe, so get creative with your ingredients. Here’s a great recipe for getting you started. This is the perfect dish to whip up when it’s too hot outside or for using up all those summer garden vegetables! It’s even better if you make some fresh tortillas.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Salsa Verde
When I am calculating the points for this recipe I am not including the maple syrup. This is because not everyone will include it. I do not add it to mine when I make it on a typical basis.
- Purple– 1
- Blue – 1
- Green– 1
New to WW? Trying to Decide on What Plan is Best? Use these guides to help. Everything You Need to Know about the Green Plan, Blue and Purple coming soon.
You will find a complete list of all of the ingredients that you need as well as the directions on the printable recipe card below.
- jalapeno peppers
- fresh garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- green onions
- fresh cilantro leaves
- fresh lime juice
- ground cumin
- dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Optional – maple syrup
How to Make Salsa Verde
Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
Husk tomatillos and cut in half. Arrange tomatillos in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, along with whole jalapeno peppers and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat.
Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
Once cool enough to handle, cut jalapeno peppers in half and remove seeds before transferring the roasted veggies to a blender or food processor. Add green onion, cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, and oregano. Pulse until ingredients are combined, but the mixture is still a little chunky.
Taste and add a drizzle of maple syrup to sweeten, if desired. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately or freeze for later use. Enjoy your Salsa Verde!
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Recommended Weight Watchers Products
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
Are you on Facebook? We are too. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun!
Salsa Verde Recipe
- 1 lb. tomatillos
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic peeled
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions chopped
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ c. fresh lime juice
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 2 t. dried oregano
- Optional: 1 T. maple syrup
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line an oven-safe baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat.
- Husk 2-3 tomatillos and cut in half. Place tomatillos on a sprayed baking sheet cut jalapenos (or halve them). Add finely chopped garlic cloves. Drizzle olive oil over all, then toss gently to coat.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, then allow to cool.
- Once the vegetables are cool enough to handle, cut open the jalapenos and remove the seeds. Blend the ingredients together from the blender or food processor. Add onion, cilantro, lime juice, and spices. Mix well.Taste and add a drizzle of maple syrup to sweeten, if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately or freeze for later use. Enjoy!