If you are looking for a delicious side dish to go with your healthy dinner, you are going to love these easy Green Beans and Bacon. These green beans are taken to a whole new level with the addition of crispy, salty, delicious bacon.
Easy Green Beans and Bacon
While I want to eat healthy, I want great flavors. That is why my recipes have a healthier twist on classics. That is the same with this simple side dish. The flavor is amazing and they are still healthy.
What to Serve with Bacon and Green Beans
This is a great side dish that can go with almost anything. Some of my favorites are
- Marinated Baked Chicken Thighs with Fingerling Potatoes
- Grilled Pork Chops
- Rosemary Garlic Beef Tenderloin
- Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Turkey Chili Mac Recipe
Save Money on Weight Watchers. One Year on iTrackBites for about the cost of 1 month on Weight Watchers. All the same plans and points. Use code
Code_DebiMurray to save
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Green Beans and Bacon
Because this recipe for Green Beans and Bacon focuses on eating a healthier version, I cut down the amount of bacon that is used. When my grandmother used to make these, it was more like bacon with some green beans. And boy, were they good.
But I want to eat healthier and feed my family healthier so I have reduced the bacon. You still get the fantastic flavor but without it being an unhealthy side dish.
- Purple: 2 Points
- Blue: 2 Points
- Green: 2 Points
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Want to Weight Watchers for almost free? Get a Year’s Membership for the Price of a Month – Learn More About Healthi – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Are Green Beans and Bacon Keto
If you are following a keto diet and want to make sure that the side dishes that you are enjoying are keto friendly, this is a great option for you. This incredible is a keto dish.
If you need to increase the amount of fat you need in the recipe to make your macros, you can leave more of the bacon grease in the pan when drain the grease.
- Green beans
- Yellow onion – Learn How to Cut Onions without Crying
- Red pepper flakes
How to Make Green Beans and Bacon
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium low high heat and add salt. Add the fresh green beans and cook for about 5 minutes until the beans are crisp tender and are a bright green color.
Drain the water and add the cooked green beans to ice water to stop the cooking process.
Drain the beans and dry them on a paper towel.
Use a large skillet to cook the bacon until it is crispy. Remove the bacon and chop it into pieces.
Drain off the excess grease from the bacon.
Add the onions to the pan and saute them until they are very tender. This takes about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add in the red pepper flakes and garlic and cook for about a minute while it gets fragrant.
Toss the green beans and bacon back into the pan and heat until the green beans are warmed through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Toss in the lemon juice and enjoy.
Optional: Top with sesame seeds.
Need more ideas and help to stay on track with Weight Watchers?
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- Don’t let the holidays get your off track. Get your copy of How to Survive a Low Point Holiday.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
Green Beans and Bacon
- 2 1/2 pounds green beans trimmed
- 1/4 pound bacon roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- Toss the green beans into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until bright green in color and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans and shock in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain the beans again and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a large, heavy saute pan until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Spoon off the excess bacon grease.
- Add the onion to the pan and saute until soft and very tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until just fragrant, about 1 more minute.
- Add the reserved green beans and the pecans and cook until heated through, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Return the bacon to the pan, pour in the lemon