If you love Coleslaw but want a healthier version, you are going to want to try the Best Healthy Coleslaw Recipe ever. This lighter recipe is going to become one of your favorite side dishes.
Healthy Cole Slaw Recipe
I love making coleslaw as a side dish or for picnics, but it is not always considered part of a healthy meal. That is why I wanted to make sure I made a lighter, healthier version. And I have to say, this recipe tastes just as good as store bought, mayo heavy, creamy coleslaw without me having to worry that it isn’t something we should be eating. This healthy Coleslaw recipe is absolutely perfect.
How to cut cabbage for coleslaw
There are different types of cabbage, but cutting them is all basically the same. You want to remove the outside leaves that are roughed up or bruised. The cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Then you want to slice the quarters into thin shreds, how thick or thin you are cutting it will depend what you are making with it. When you are making coleslaw with the cabbage, you definitely want thin shreds for the best taste.
What is in Coleslaw Dressing?
There are 2 types of dressing that most coleslaw recipes use. One is a vinaigrette style dressing. The other, more common and what I like the best, is a creamy dressing that normally consists of mayo. In my recipe, I am using a creamy style dressing, but I skip the mayo and use my secret ingredient instead.
How Long Does Coleslaw Keep?
I like to make my coleslaw and serve it within a few hours. This is because normally, the salt and the vinegar that goes into the dressing, starts to break down the cabbage and pulls the water out of it. I will still eat the leftovers for a few days, u to 3, but it changes the consistency.
What To Eat with Coleslaw
Why does my Coleslaw get watery?
If the coleslaw is getting watery, it usually means that there is not enough dressing. The water naturally comes out of the cabbage and this will thin the dressing. If you do not have enough it will make the dressing watery and not nice and creamy.
How Many Weight Watchers Points in Coleslaw
When I am making this coleslaw recipe, I am making a point to use fat free Greek yogurt. This replaces the mayo and make the recipe much lighter.
This recipes comes in at 0 points on All Weight Watcher Plans. It is the perfect side dish.
Looking for more recipes and support? Join our Winning with Weight Watchers Facebook Group.
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step by step directions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Green cabbage
- Red cabbage
- Fat Free Greek yogurt – Learn How to Make Greek Yogurt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Ground cumin
- Spicy Dijon mustard
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
How to Make The Best Ever Coleslaw
In a large bowl, add the sliced cabbage and shredded carrots.
In a separate bow, combine the yogurt, apple cider vinegar, cumin, mustard and lime juice.
Pour the dressing over the veggies in the bowl and toss to combine.
Season with salt and pepper, stir, and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
Save Money on Weight Watchers- Get a Year for the Price of a Month – Everything You Need to Know About iTrackBites – Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
Recommended Weight Watchers Products
- Get this Printable Weight Watchers Weight Loss Journal or the Daily Food Log to add to your existing planner.
- If you are looking for a simple snack idea that won’t ruin your points for the day. You have to try Built Bar. You can save 12% Off* with Code: SAVE12.
- Use these Meal Prep containers so you have meals ready that are low in points and help you avoid the wrong foods. You can also use the Weight Watchers Freestyle Make It and Take It Kit.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water with a reusable water bottle that helps you track your water. I have these 2 and they work great. Hydr-8 Purple 32ounce Water Bottle with Swivel Lid and 32 oz Clear Sports Water Bottle, Best for Measuring H2o Intake
- If you don’t want to pay for the app to be able to calculate your points, consider the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Calculator for Freestyle Program which is sold by Weight Watchers so you know the Points are right. The online calculators are not always accurate.
- Need to start an Exercise Program? Try this Weight Watchers 15 minute Boot Camp DVD.
- 3 c. green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 c. red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/3 c. Fat Free Greek yogurt
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- ¾ t. ground cumin
- ¾ t. spicy Dijon mustard
- 1 T. fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Slice the cabbages and place them in a large bowl.
Shred the carrots and add to the bowl.
Whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, cumin, mustard, and lime juice together in a bowl.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and combine.
Add salt and pepper and stir.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.