This Instant Pot Pot Roast is everything you’ve imagined a pot roast prepared in your Instant Pot would be; tender, juicy, and flavorful. The Pot Roast, along with the vegetables and decadent broth, is sure to please. If you are looking for a hearty weeknight meal, then this is the recipe you must bookmark.
Instant Pot Pot Roast
If you have discovered how wonderful it is to own an Instant Pot, then you already know it’s a definite must have in any kitchen. If you haven’t bought one yet, then you simply must get one. Believe me, once you start using it, you won’t be able to stop.
Love Recipes? Join our Facebook Group, The Best Recipes Because Mama Loves to Eat
FAQ About This Recipe
You will want to sear the chuck roast first by using the sauté function on your Instant Pot, then you will want to add the seasonings then you will cook the roast by using the sealing function on your IP for 60 minutes.
20 minutes per lb of beef.
Unfortunately, yes, you can.
Yes, but, you only need to had the required amount. You will need to use the exact amount that is listed for each recipe.
Instagram is one of my favorite places to be. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun! Be sure to check out our stories for real-time fun!
You will find a complete list of all of the ingredients that you need as well as the directions on the printable recipe card below.
- Extra virgin olive oil – all great recipes start with EVOO.
- Chuck roast – make sure that the roast is trimmed. You can ask the meat butcher at your local store to trim it for you if you prefer.
- Sea salt & black pepper – make sure to use actual sea salt and not table salt. Table salt is just for seasoning AFTER the fact. Do NOT use this when a recipe calls for salt.
- Beef broth – any brand is fine.
- Tomato paste – this will really help bring out the flavor.
- Italian seasoning – this seasoning flavor will really add a nice touch to the recipe.
- Cocoa powder – make sure it is unsweetened. Trust me on this ingredient.
- Bacon – must be thick-cut.
- Garlic powder – all great recipes use garlic.
- Red onion – can also be white.
- Carrots – you can leave this out if your family doesn’t like carrots.
- Multi-colored fingerling potatoes – you can also use just one color. More colors gives it an unique finished look.
- Green beans – can be fresh or canned.
- Fresh parsley leaves – this is totally optional.
What to Serve With Pot Roast
How to Make Pot Roast in the Instant Pot
Below is a brief breakdown of the steps below. To get the full steps, refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Getting the dreaded BURN message? Learn more about the Instant Pot Burn message and how to prevent it.
Step 1: Sear the beef roast.
Step 2: Add in the seasonings.
Step 3: Add the beef back in and seal and program the cooker to seal.
Step 4: While the roast is cooking, prep the vegetables.
Step 5: Once the roast is done, then add in the vegetables and seal again and allow the vegetables to cook.
Step 6: Let the pressure naturally drop, then remove the food and serve!
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Beef Tips and Rice
- Mongolian Beef
- Baby Back Ribs
- Chicken Wings
Instant Pot Pot Roast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 – 4 lbs chuck roast trimmed
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 c beef broth divided
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder unsweetened
- 8 oz bacon thick-cut
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 3 carrots (large) diced
- 1 lb. multi-colored Fingerling potatoes halved
- 1 lb. green beans trimmed
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves chopped, optional
- Add the olive oil into the inner cooking pot of your Instant Pot. Next, select the "Sauté" button. Then use the "Adjust" button to select the "More/High" setting.
- As soon as the Instant Pot is hot, add in the beef roast and season to taste. Make sure to sear the roast on all sides. To achieve the perfect sear, allow 3 – 4 minutes on each side. Then remove the roast and transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- As soon as the roast is removed, you will need to deglaze the inner pot by adding the beef both and scrapping the bottom of the pot with a rubber spatula. You want to release the brown bits from the bottom. Then, add in the tomato paste, the Italian seasoning, the cocoa powder, and the garlic powder. Stir the ingredients to thoroughly combine them then push the "Keep Warm/Cancel" button to turn off the Sauté function.
- Next, add the roast back into the Instant Pot and add the lid. Make sure to lock the lid into place and then set the vent to "Sealing". Select the "manual button" and adjust to the "High Setting", if necessary. Set to cook in 60 minutes.
- Once the roast is ready, allow the pressure to release naturally on it's own for 10 minutes below doing a quick release on any pressure that's left over. Add the onion, potatoes, carrots, and green beans on top of the beef roast.
- Cover the Instant Pot and make sure to lock the lid into place. Set the vent to “Sealing” and push the “Manual” button (should still be on “High.”) Then adjust cook time to 3 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally on it's own for 5 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure. MAKE SURE TO NOT STAND DIRECTLY OVER THE POT WHEN RELEASING ANY REMAINING PRESSURE.
- Carefully remove lid and transfer the chuck roast and vegetables onto a serving platter. Serve immediately and garnish with parsley if desired.
Sauté time: approximately 15 minutes
Active cook time: 63 minutes ((combined) + time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 10 minutes + (5 minutes for the vegetables)