The Hot Chocolate Bomb craze has started and looks to be as strong as ever! Since St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, you definitely need a recipe for St. Patrick’s Day Hot Chocolate Bombs.
St Patrick’s Day Hot Chocolate Bombs
Have you tried making any of these delicious and fun chocolate spheres yet? If not, then you must! They are actually easier to make than you think!
My family and I have been making so many fun ones that I think your family will love to make them too. Make sure to bookmark my Valentine’s Day Hot Cocoa Bombs, my Mardi Gras Hot Chocolate Bombs and my White Chocolate Cocoa Bombs.
Before you get started on this fun family recipe, here are few tips and suggestions.
What Can I Decorate the Outside of the Cocoa Bomb With?
You can use melted white chocolate, melted dark or milk chocolate, sprinkles, candies, or whatever you think your family will love in their hot chocolate.
Can You Add Alcohol to Chocolate Bombs?
Yes, you can. Just add 1 – 2 tbsp of the alcohol of your choice when you are adding the cocoa. Then add in the marshmallows and top with the other half. Make sure that you store these in the refrigerator though.
How Long Do Hot Chocolate Bombs Last?
They are only good for around 3 days. If your house is like mine, the chocolate bombs will not last that long before everyone drinks them.
How to Store Hot Cocoa Bombs
If they do not have alcohol, you can store them in an air tight container.
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step directions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Semi-Sweet Baking Bar – any brand will work, however, I suggest Ghirardelli.
- Hot Chocolate Mix – homemade or store-bought is fine.
- Mini Marshmallows – because this ingredient is an absolute must.
- Green Sprinkles – St. Patrick’s themed ones or any green ones are fine.
- 6 Hole Silicone Mold
How to Make St. Patrick’s Day Hot Chocolate Bombs
You can find the full list of ingredients and directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
First, melt the chocolate. You can use the double broiler method or use the microwave.
Add the chocolate to the molds. Fill the molds and then pour out the excess.
Make sure to get the chocolate up around the edges of the mold.
Place the molds in the freezer for a few minutes. This will set the chocolate.
Gently remove the molds.
Fill one side of the molds with the hot chocolate mix and marshmallows.
Add the 2 sides of the molds together. Use a warmed plate to melt the chocolate of one side to help close the halves together.
Add chocolate along the seams to seal it. Then drizzle chocolate over top of the ball.
Decorate the hot chocolate balls with green sprinkles.
To make the hot chocolate bombs, add one to the bottom of a cup.
Add hot milk over the top.
The hot chocolate bomb will start to melt and then burst open.
Hocus Pocus Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 20 oz melting milk chocolate wafers
- 1 c hot chocolate mix two packets of Instant Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Purple, Green, Orange, Multi-colored Sprinkles
- 2 oz. Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers (purple)
- 2 oz. Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers (green)
- Place the mold(s) into the freezer while you are melting the chocolate.
Melting the chocolate
- Follow the directions on the package to melt the chocolate in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl OR you can set up a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
Making the Chocolate Balls
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove the candy molds from the freezer and place on a small baking sheet. Next, add 1 tbsp of the chocolate into the mold. Use your spoon to move the chocolate around the inside of the mold. Make sure that you apply the chocolate evenly.
- Repeat the process for the remainder of the molds. When you are done, lightly tap the mold(s) to get any air bubbles out.
- Place the mold on the baking sheet back into the freezer and let the chocolate spheres set up for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the chocolate bomb molds from the freezer.
- Carefully remove the chocolate from the molds.
- Heat a plate in the microwave for approximately 60 seconds. Remove from the microwave then as you work on each mold, turn one of the bomb halves upside down and place it directly onto the hot plate for 5 to 10 seconds. You just want the rim to gently melt.
- Fill the molds with 1 tbsp of the hot cocoa mix and top with mini marshmallows.
- Then repeat the step to melt the rim of the bomb you are using to top your hot chocolate bomb.
- CAREFULLY press the two halves together.
- Repeat the process until all of the chocolate bombs are done.
- Melt the Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers according to the directions on the package and drizzle over the top of the hot chocolate bombs.
- Top with the sprinkles.
To use the bomb
- Place it in a large mug, pour warm milk over it and stir until everything is mixed together and enjoy!
- If you would like to decorate a glass mug instead of a regular coffee mug, dip the rim of the glass mug into some of the leftover melted chocolate and then top with the sprinkles. Let the glass then sit, turned up the correct way, in the fridge until you are ready to add in the hot chocolate bomb and the warm milk. Enjoy!