Hocus pocus hot chocolate bombs are a fun and festive way to enjoy your favorite winter drink. These bombs are perfect for holiday parties, they’re easy to make and you only need a few ingredients.
Instagram is one of my favorite places to be. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun! Be sure to check out our stories for real-time fun!
Hocus Pocus Inspired Hot Chocolate Bombs
It’s that time of year again…
Halloween is right around the corner, and you know what that means: it’s time to start thinking about getting together with friends and family for a little spooky fun. Or perhaps you’re looking for something different this year? Something new and different that makes the traditional Hocus Pocus movie night even better? Hocus Pocus Inspired Hot Chocolate Bombs! These bombs are perfect for holiday parties, they’re easy to make and you only need a few ingredients.
Like our other hot chocolate bombs, like St. Patrick’s Day Hot Chocolate Bombs, Valentine’s Day Hot Cocoa Bombs, Chocolate Bunny Face Cocoa Bombs, and The Best White Chocolate Cocoa Bombs for Spring, these Hocus Pocus Bombs are going to be a hit.
What chocolate is best for making hot chocolate bombs?
It is important to use high-quality chocolate. You want it to have cocoa butter in it. It is also important to look to make sure there are not a lot of other ingredients. A lot of people like to use candy melts, but I have found that I do not like the taste of them and it doesn’t melt well when you add it to the hot milk.
You do NOT want to use chocolate chips. They do not hold up well for the molding process.
The better the chocolate the better the Hocus Pocus Hot Chocolate Bomb will form and taste.
Do I have to temper my chocolate?
It is important to temper the chocolate. this just refers to the way of melting the chocolate. When the chocolate hasn’t been tempered, it will be soft, which makes it hard to hold its shape, and it won’t have the shine.
It is best to chop the chocolate or if use wafers, not candy melts. When the chocolate is in pieces, it makes sit easier for the chocolate to melt without burning it.
Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Take the bowl out and stir, from the outside in. The chocolate won’t look melted but you do want to skip this step.
Heat the chocolate again for 15 seconds. Then you will want to stir again.
If the chocolate isn’t smooth yet, microwave it again for 15 seconds. Take it out and stir. You do not want to overheat the chocolate. This causes it to harden and break.
Can I make hot chocolate bombs in advance?
You want to try and make these right before giving them out. If you need to store them, place them in the fridge for up to 2 hours or freeze for one hour.
If you want to make some ahead of time, I suggest storing them in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to serve. When frozen, they will be solid. You will want to let them sit out for 15 minutes before serving
How long do hot chocolate bombs last for?
Since the ingredients you are using are shelf-stable, like a chocolate bar, these hot chocolate bombs can last for some time as long as they are stored properly.
How to store hot chocolate bombs
These Hocus Pocus hot chocolate bombs can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer if it is hot in the house and you are worried about them melting. However, you can also store them at room temperature. No matter how you are storing them you want to keep them in an airtight container.
Will it have a strong chocolate taste
If you like your hot chocolate to be strong, you might be concerned that the flavor of the hot chocolate isn’t going to be strong enough. That isn’t a concern with these Hocus Pocus Hot Chocolate Drinks. Between the chocolate outside, the chocolate drizzle, and the hot chocolate mix inside, this hot chocolate recipe is bursting with flavor.
How Much Should I Use
You will want to use about 1 1/2 cups of milk. I have heard of people using water. I have also heard of people using a premade hot chocolate to get a double chocolate hot chocolate.
Which mold should I get for hot chocolate bombs?
I personally like to use a silicone mold when making Hocus Pocus Hot Chocolate Bombs. Others prefer to use an acrylic mold. It is a personal choice. The molds should be either 2 inches or 2.5 inches. I have my choice linked down below.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs without a Mold
The first time I wanted to make this HCB for the kids, I didn’t have a mold on hand. I made them using an egg. Wrap the egg in plastic wrap to make it easy to remove the chocolate. The egg isn’t completely round, since it is more like a sphere. That’s ok. Dip the wrapped egg into the chocolate on one side and let it harden. Then follow the directions. You will gently remove the chocolate from the plastic.
Tips for Making Hocus Pocus Hot Chocolate Bombs
Make sure the mold is clean. If there is residue on the mold, it will go into the chocolate
Be sure to heat the chocolate slowly in 15-second intervals.
If you find that chocolate balls keep breaking, it could be several reasons. This could be because the chocolate wasn’t tempered properly. It can also be because the edges were not clean and sealed properly. Be careful not to press too hard. One last reason that the chocolate balls keep breaking is that you have not let them sit long enough.
If you find that the chocolate balls keep melting as you touch them, you can chill your hands with ice or run your hands under cold water. It is also a good idea to have the house chilly. Another option is to use food-safe gloves. This gives a barrier between the heat of your hands and the hot chocolate bomb
Rub the edges together smoothly. When you add the chocolate, smooth it out so that the edges go together seamlessly.
Make sure to store the hot chocolate bombs in a cool spot in the kitchen or in the refrigerator.
Need More Variety?
This is a basic hot chocolate but you might want to use spice things up. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
Add Pumpkin Spice– It is Halloween after all so why not add some pumpkin spice to it. You can sprinkle the pumpkin spice in the Hocus Pocus hot chocolate bomb when you are making it or you can add it to the hot chocolate once you make it.
Cinnamon– Cinnamon is amazing in chocolate. Sprinkle cinnamon in the mix or once the drink is made.
Sea Salt– Salt brings out the flavor in chocolate, so this is sure to add a delicious twist.
Coffee– If you want to make this a mocha-flavored hot chocolate bomb add a teaspoon of coffee to the bomb itself or in the hot chocolate when you make it.
Peppermint– Peppermint is great with hot chocolate so you can add crushed peppermint candies or peppermint extract to the inside.
Love Recipes? Join our Facebook Group, The Best Recipes Because Mama Loves to Eat
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step directions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Milk Chocolate melting wafers – any brand will work, however, normally the ones that are of better quality work the best.
- Hot Chocolate Mix – store-bought or homemade is fine.
- Mini Marshmallows – because these are a must.
- Green, purple, and orange sprinkles – Think anything that reminds you of Hocus Pocus. If you can find them, candy eyes will work fantastic.
- Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers – these work great for melting small amounts of specific colors of candy wafers.
- Mold– You will use these to create the chocolate spheres for the cocoa bombs.
How to Make Hocus Pocus Hot Chocolate Bombs for Halloween
To prepare, while you are melting your chocolate, you will want to place the molds into the freezer.
Melting the chocolate
To start, look at the package directions to melt the chocolate and use a heat-safe bowl to melt in the microwave, or use a double boiler.
Making the Chocolate Balls
To begin, take the mold out of the freezer once the chocolate has melted and place it onto a small baking sheet.
First, put 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate into your mold. Then, move the chocolate around using a spoon to coat the inside of the mold. Be sure to coat the mold evenly with chocolate.
Secondly, continue this process with the rest of the molds. Then, when you were done, gently hit the mold to remove any air bubbles.
Thirdly, arrange the mold onto a baking sheet and place it into the freezer, and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Next, take the chocolate molds all out of the freezer, and gently take them out of the mold.
In addition, place the plate for 60 seconds in the microwave to heat. Once the plate is hot, flip over the chocolate halves onto the plate for 5 to 10 seconds to slightly melt the rim.
Furthermore, you will add 1 tablespoon of hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows into the molds and continue with the process of melting the rim for the top half of the cocoa bombs. Then, gently combine the two halves together to make a whole.
Continue until all the chocolate bombs are made.
First, follow the instructions to melt the Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers to add on top of the cocoa bombs. Then, top with sprinkles.
How to Use the Bomb
First, in a large mug, place the bomb in, then top with warmed milk and combine.
If desired, you can decorate the mug by dipping the rim into some melted chocolate and topping it with sprinkles.
Next, you will need to let the rim of the mug set in the fridge. Place the mug the correct way up to sit in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy your hot cocoa chocolate bombs.
Need More Hocus Pocus in Your Life? Hocus Pocus Recipes
- Copycat Starbucks Hocus Pocus Frappuccino – Sarah Sanderson Frap Recipe
- Hocus Pocus Chocolate Cookies
- Easy Hocus Pocus Cocktail for Halloween
- Hocus Pocus Drinking Game
- Hocus Pocus Halloween Alcoholic Punch
Are you on Facebook? We are too. Join us as we share our Perfectly Imperfect Life with recipes, crafts, parenting, and fun!
Hocus Pocus Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 20 oz melting milk chocolate wafers
- 1 c hot chocolate mix two packets of Instant Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Purple, Green, Orange, Multi-colored Sprinkles
- 2 oz. Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers (purple)
- 2 oz. Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers (green)
- Place the mold(s) into the freezer while you are melting the chocolate.
Melting the chocolate
- Follow the directions on the package to melt the chocolate in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl OR you can set up a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
Making the Chocolate Balls
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove the candy molds from the freezer and place on a small baking sheet. Next, add 1 tbsp of the chocolate into the mold. Use your spoon to move the chocolate around the inside of the mold. Make sure that you apply the chocolate evenly.
- Repeat the process for the remainder of the molds. When you are done, lightly tap the mold(s) to get any air bubbles out.
- Place the mold on the baking sheet back into the freezer and let the chocolate spheres set up for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the chocolate bomb molds from the freezer.
- Carefully remove the chocolate from the molds.
- Heat a plate in the microwave for approximately 60 seconds. Remove from the microwave then as you work on each mold, turn one of the bomb halves upside down and place it directly onto the hot plate for 5 to 10 seconds. You just want the rim to gently melt.
- Fill the molds with 1 tbsp of the hot cocoa mix and top with mini marshmallows.
- Then repeat the step to melt the rim of the bomb you are using to top your hot chocolate bomb.
- CAREFULLY press the two halves together.
- Repeat the process until all of the chocolate bombs are done.
- Melt the Chocodrizzler Candy Wafers according to the directions on the package and drizzle over the top of the hot chocolate bombs.
- Top with the sprinkles.
To use the bomb
- Place it in a large mug, pour warm milk over it and stir until everything is mixed together and enjoy!
- If you would like to decorate a glass mug instead of a regular coffee mug, dip the rim of the glass mug into some of the leftover melted chocolate and then top with the sprinkles. Let the glass then sit, turned up the correct way, in the fridge until you are ready to add in the hot chocolate bomb and the warm milk. Enjoy!